Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

crate training - thoughts and feelings

lucyvanpelt
December 8th, 2004, 03:15 PM
hi everyone,
i've been eyeing this board for a while and couldn't find an answer to my questions so i thought i'd finally post. i'm getting a puppy this january and we're doing our best to prepare for his arrival.
the biggest dilhemma we're facing is the issue of crate training. plastic or metal crates? line the crate with a hot water bottle and blankets or leave it empty? i've heard a million different things and i don't know what to believe. help!
thanks,
lucy

Lucky Rescue
December 8th, 2004, 03:41 PM
How old will the puppy be? Crate training for housebreaking is fine, but crates are being way overused and abused these days and some dogs literally live in them and develop all kinds of behavioral problems from confinement and isolation.

I would not use the plastic kind that the dog can't see out of. I personally would not get a very young puppy if no one is home all day, but if you do, an X-pen may be a better choice so the puppy will have room to use one spot to eliminate on papers or puppy pads, and another to sleep in.

Puppies like to pee on absorbant surfaces, and that includes blankets so I wouldnt' use any until the puppy is housetrained. A hot water bottle is likely to be chewed up.

lucyvanpelt
December 8th, 2004, 04:17 PM
duffy will be 11 weeks when he comes home. our plan is to just use the crate at night, which is what i've heard is recommended. he won't be home alone often, at least not until he's older, so he would probably be in his crate for no more than 2 hours during the day. hopefully this info will help everyone advise me. thanks again

Terrie
December 8th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Lucy
I never ever crated my dogs ( mostly because they were MUTTS ) but when Kuma came home, he was crated right off the start and let me tell you it's awesome... He knows his crate is his HOUSE, and at first I would have to put him in there ( because he was a lil baby ) but now, when he comes in from the rain or if he gets too hyper, I just say "HOUSE" and in he goes, I don't have to lock it, because he knows that is where he belongs. I didn't put him there at night, tried that and he cried like he was being abused so I spoiled him ( like a mom does ) and he slept on the bed with me. But this will not only protect him/her from getting into something maybe dangerous, but will also save allot of your furniture...

I say :thumbs up to crating !

tenderfoot
December 8th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Crate training is a great tool - just so long as it is balanced with lots of time with you. We like to start a puppy with the crate for naps and times when we are too busy to watch over him. We find that the crate is very handy for the first year and we really don't have much use for it after that, but because the dog is comfortable with it - it can always be used at any time without an adverse reaction.
Please be sure that the crate is in your bedroom at night if he is to sleep in it. It is very important for him to be able to see you and hear you move about in your sleep. He is used to sleeping with his litter mates and takes comfort in knowing you are close by. You are also there to help incase he needs an emergency potty break.
NEVER LEAVE A COLLAR ON IN THE CRATE - dogs can strangle themselves too easily.
We like the solid sided crates because it creates more of a den environment - dark and cosey. There are some great new soft sided crates that are light wieght, but a new pup might discover he can chew through it rather quickly.
A hot water bottle is a nice idea, but could lead to trouble.
We actually sleep with a new puppy for the first week or two to establish a stronger bond and to be able to monitor him in the night better. It helps him to transition from mom & the litter to us - offering him a secure feeling from the start. The pack sleeps together - pups are not pushed out and rejected from the pack - they are looked after and protected.

Ling
December 8th, 2004, 05:30 PM
I say yes to crate training. We call it her house. Our pup was only 8 weeks when we got her from the SPCA and she has only made a mess in it once - the first night! I guess she was scared and didn't know when we were coming to get her to let her out to do her business.
Blanket was fine - no problems with having it in there. We did have a box in there to make it a smaller area (we got a larger one so that she could grow into it) but if it wasn't tightly fit she'd knock it down and chew on the corners.
Didn't use a hot water bottle but I kept on a baby's night light and a radio playing soft music around. Kind of soothing and to drown out any potential scary noises. But she moved up to our bedroom pretty quick so that we could hear her if she needed to be let out, then BF snoring drowns EVERYTHING out - lol...
At about 4 months she had her own huge fluffy bed in our bedroom and sat by the door and whined to be let out if she has to go in the middle of the night - which wasn't often. At 6 months - she's on the bed - sigh... she just looks sooo cute and so innocent...
You just kind of have to feel out what kind of things your pup will respond well too - I say make it as warm and comfy as possible and if you do find she makes a mess or chews stuff then take it out. Don't know about the hot water bottle - could that possibly be dangerous if they chew on it? I've found it's all trial and error - there is no definate answer to training all puppies.
During the day - definately use a crate or x pen when you go out - protects them from chewing / getting into any harmful stuff.
Oh - and I have plastic crates. They have holes on the sides and the metal door always faced / faces me so that she can see me - if she wants to...

heidiho
December 8th, 2004, 05:33 PM
I am all for crate trainging also,my puppy never soiled in there,and after a while all i had to do was pick up my keys and he would walk right in....If i was home he would go in and lay down on his own.....I think that is the best training tool there is

CyberKitten
December 8th, 2004, 06:01 PM
I know I am in the minority and I can surely understand people who use crate training (I think it has its place on occasion) but I have never liked it. I have a neighbour with a beautiful lab and he is good to the dog -walks him and seems to care for him. But there are times when this poor animal is in his crate all day long (except for pee breaks and when someone comes by to feed him).

Once when my dad was visiting, he remarked that it was no life for a dog and I had to agree. In this case, i think it is the amount of time the poor dog spends in the crate.

My dogs - when I had a dog - always slept with me and were trained enough to be home alone. (Usually confined to a certain area mind you and with toys and food, a TV or radio on and so on). Sure, there were a few problems - something chewed usually if the puppy was bored - but that was rare. I never heard of people using crates until a few years ago and I disliked the idea from the beginning. (I can see a puppy in a playpen but I wonder how healthy it is to be cramped up in such a small space (and even large crates are not THAT large).

That said, I do understand people who use them and the dogs do seem fine. I just am not keen on the idea and it is a personal preference. If people use a crate (and some dogs do feel secure in them) and do ll the other things - come home to feed and walk them and spend lots of quality time, that's fine. But I've heard of people having their puppy in a crate even at night which I find a little hard to understand. (But it's just me - if the dog likes it..) Even my folks pet sit for my brother and sister and I - the animals sleep in bed - or sometimes on a rug by the side of the bed. (In the case of the lab who has this habit of jumping in and out of bed, lol)

Anyway, for what's it's worth, I am not a fan of crates. But we are all different and care for our pets equally.

Terrie
December 8th, 2004, 06:57 PM
I totally agree with you Cyber... I only had Kuma in his crate when I went to the store for 5 - 10 minutes at first.. then when he got older, he was loose in the house, I mean what's the point of having a guard dog if he can't guard?? and my worse, absolute worse case scenerio... what happens if the house catches on fire, he would not have a chance to save himself or if i was in an accident and couldn't get home...
I think it's like a muzzle, what's the use of having a dog on a lead, walking him and having him muzzled.. How can he protect me if someone comes up behind us or if another dog comes running after him... I guess it's like children
each one has to use their own judgement but use it with a heart..
Don't keep a dog crated all the time.. that's just pure cruelty.. sometimes I wish the owners should be put in the animals spot just to feel the pain..

:sorry: blabbing on... I just have zero tolerance on animal cruelty!! That's why I could never work at the Humain Society or Animal shelter.

Lucky Rescue
December 8th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Agree with Tenderfoot that puppy should be in your bedroom at night for now.

You can put the crate right next to your bed, and if he fusses you can just reach down and comfort him with touch and smell and soothing voice. You'll have to get up during the night of course to take him out.

Keep your shoes next to the bed, cause first thing in the morning, pick him up and take him outside fast. Praise him like crazy for eliminating outside. Try and avoid letting him make mistakes in the house by taking him out after every meal, drinking, sleeping and playing.

Here a a bunch of really great links on crate/housetraining very young puppies. It's best to find one method that suits you and stick with it so as not to confuse a puppy.:)
Puppy stuff (http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/htpuppy.htm)

tenderfoot
December 8th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Crates are not cruel - people who use them as a way to avoid caring for their dog are cruel. In a perfect world crates would not be needed, but few of us can provide the perfect life for our animals.
In nature a pup is watched by his mother or nanny all of the time and someone is there is save his little butt if he gets in trouble. In our modern world our pups must be left alone for periods of time and the best way to keep them safe is to confine them in a safe area. The crate is most like a natural den to the pup.
The potential for accidents from an unwatched, roaming puppy are far greater than the chance of fire scenario. Puppys chew and swallow deadly things, they gnaw on electric cords and get zapped, and they can do very costly damage which does not endear them to their people. How many puppies get returned to shelters for destroying the new leather couch? Lots!
I would never recommend that any dog lives the majority of it's day in a crate. Dogs are social creatures who are meant to have company. If a person cannot provide enough time to be with their dog then perhaps they should rethink having a dog in their lives. On the other hand if that person is able to provide a loving home to a dog who would otherwise not have a home then I cannot judge.
Some dogs do great with crates and actually take comfort in them while others feel more confident being able to roam the house. Everyone needs to find balance for their lives and their dogs - but I can only tell you that I know of many dogs who are able to stay in their homes and have good lives because they are crate trained.
Doggie daycares have opened up a whole new and wonderful choice for a lot of dogs who would otherwise be home alone all day. It is an alternative to leaving a puppy alone for hours in a crate and the pup is getting awesome socialization and stimulation.
In the end you must decide what feels right in your heart and do what is right for your dog.

CyberKitten
December 9th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Re: How many puppies get returned to shelters for destroying the new leather couch? Lots!

If an individual values his or her couch more than a pet pooch, then they should rethink bsharing their life with a dog! (But I do know there are unkind and not very knowledgable people who do bring their pets to the a shelter for some ridiculous reasons, sigh!)

I never suggested a puppy should be left alone or allowed to roam the house. To me, a puppy or kitten is like a toddler - in need of much guidance, care and supervision!! But I think one can section off a place in the home for that or have the puppy stay with a relative or someone you trust or a puppysitter when at work.

That said, I can see where a crate has its use. Many kittens and cats find their carriers safe places when travelling for example.

I think it is a question of choice and I do think most people use crates wisely. (Some do not though and of course that is the case with many issues and animal neglect).

I'd never use one but that is just my choice. I think crates have come into vogue as more and more people move to urban areas and our demographics are altered and society changes. They may well be the new "doghouse", lol (I cannot say I ever knew anyone that ever actually owned a doghouse tho.)

Anyway, it is an intriging discussion.

crazyontrt
December 9th, 2004, 08:22 AM
I crate trained my pup when he came home at 8 weeks. I made sure his crate was always his "happy place". It was in our bedroom at night so he could see us. It was a metal crate so he could see, and I lined it with a big fluffy comforter. We don't use it that often anymore except when we have to go out and are leaving him at home, which doesn't happen often. He always gets a treat when he goes in, so he loves it. We also just moved. He was very stressed out, until the movers brought his crate in. He couldn't get in it fast enough! Just make sure when you use the crate that it is NEVER used for punishment. It should always be a positive experience for the dog. Good luck with your new puppers! I'm also getting another one next friday!

heidiho
December 9th, 2004, 11:03 AM
It was my pups happy place also,he didnt mind it at all,that is not my idea of what is cruel to an animal......I can understand if he is in it all day,then all night....That was the best training tool i had...........................Cruel it is not........

lezzpezz
December 9th, 2004, 11:10 AM
sorry to go totally off topic, but is your name REALLY Lucy Van Pelt? Did anyone else see the Peanuts connection here? I think it's great!

By the way, I am all for crate training if done for the right reasons and the dog is not going to live in the crate for hours on end. The crate is a godsend for potty training, and a dog can actually look forward to his "comfy place" if he is introduced to it as a haven and not as a punishment.

heeler's rock!
December 9th, 2004, 11:15 AM
I totally agree that crates are wonderful tools. My 2 puppies have DESTROYED my walls, my window sills, my couches, and when they were potty training, my carpet. We only had one crate for a while and now that we have 2, both our pups are crated when we are out and during the day if I'm not home. It has saved our house further destruction. It pains me to look at my house and I am so ashamed to have people over, because of the holes and such in my walls. I would never give up my puppies and I do understand that they're learning, but if I didn't have the crates, my house would be even more destroyed and I would have had to check into an insane asylum!!!! :D

heidiho
December 9th, 2004, 11:27 AM
I also tried him in the house alone for a bit,my couch,wall,coffee table all were ruined...He never once went potty in his crate......He would take his chewy and go lay in there.When he was about 3 months old we would put him in bed with us to sleep he would get up and in the morning he would be in his crate sleeping..Best best thing ever is the crate if you do use it right they will love it..

lucyvanpelt
December 9th, 2004, 01:53 PM
not to get off topic, since i did start this one, and not to offend anyone, but am i the only one who has noticed that a lot of people on this board seem to assume the worst of new pet owners? maybe i'm just being oversensitive, but i almost felt as though the responses to my post seemed to be that if i'm asking about a crate, i'm obviously going to lock my dog in there 24/7. this will be the first pet i've ever owned but i think the fact that i'm asking about crate training and learning about dogs before he arrives suggests that my intentions are good. i don't mean to start something, and i'm hoping feedback to this post won't be negative. i guess those of you who have been here a while have seen some bad things happen. maybe i'm just naive.
just an observation
and by the way, thanks for the suggestions. i suppose a lot of crate training depends on the dog's personality but at least i have some tips to get me started. if anyone has more to share, please do. and, no, my name isn't really lucy van pelt.

Batman
December 9th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Hey Lucy... it is not just you. I think a lot of people are very defensive and very strong minded about their pets, and how one should look after a pet. I was in tears for two weeks because my puppy was having accidents and I from doing reading on this board I felt like a terrible pet owner. Now my little guy is doing really well with his house training and I have just decided that I KNOW I am a good pet owner and I will just brush off any negative comments if I ever receive them. ;) And I am sure the people who have been on the board for a long time or people who are trainers have seen SO many terrible pet owners. My best friend is a vet and I have heard all her stories... :(

Anyways... I am crate training for now because I just figured that if we do crate train him he will have a safe place to go when he needs it. Eventually once he is fully housetrained we are planning on letting him have one room of our apartment while we are gone. But for now I think crating is the best thing.

At night batman always has one of our T.Shirts in the crate with him... but we are having issues with him peeing in it when I am at work in the morning, so during that time we have switched to nothing. I feel bad but he really doesn't seem to mind.

Once other piece of advice. Really do your research on house breaking. I never realized what a HUGE project it would be. I have been a cat person all my life so this is all new to me! :p We have started bell training Batman and that is making a big difference! What also helps is keeping your puppy on a leash attached to you when he is out so you can always catch him in the act!

Anyways good luck with your new puppy!

doggy lover
December 9th, 2004, 03:57 PM
I have crate trained my pup. I think it has been the best thing for him. He is part beaver and I don't want to think of what he could have chewed up while we were sleeping or at work. My last dog I shut into my kitchen when he was young, but he wasn't a destructive chewer. Tucker on the other hand chews everything that goes into his mouth, I would worry if he wasn't in the crate, that he might chew electrial wires or other things that he shouldn't put into the mouth. I don't think it is any different than putting your child in a playpen. As long as its not a perminant thing, its a safe place for them. I was talking to a man from a rescue once and he had a dog that was crated for 16 hours a day, now thats not fair to the dog.

heidiho
December 9th, 2004, 04:02 PM
I am not trying to do that at all,i got alot of heat when i first came here also,and yep everyone has there different ideas of what to do and what is cruel,........I am all for crating that is all i am saying..Yes to crate training.....................

heeler's rock!
December 9th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Lucy, I think the comments are just to make you aware of what to not do if you crate train. I'm sure they weren't intended to make you feel bad at all. I think it's great that you're researching things before the bundle of joy comes home! :)

tenderfoot
December 9th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Please don't be offended by the suggestions made here. I hope I didn't upset you with any of my comments. It is great that you are asking and care so much about your newest family member.
A great lesson I have learned on this board is that when people write their thoughts down they very likely do it in a different voice then the person who reads it. Try to read peoples posts is a positive tone - try not to get defensive or take things personally (a hard lesson for me). You would be surprised how differently a sentence can be read in different attitudes and mean totally different things. Few people are really as harsh as we might imagine them to be and if they are so harsh then they have their own issues - which do not reflect upon you.
I have seen so much time wasted with people trying to back peddle from statements they did not intend to be harsh in the first place - when things could have been stated more gently in the first place. To those of us writing (me included), please take the time to re-read your posts and try to see if someone could take anything the wrong way and then try again. I think sometimes we are all answering things so quickly that we don't hear ourselves.
Please don't hesitate to ask for more help or advice. We all want what is best for you and your new puppy, and if we can help in any way we are thrilled to do so. :grouphug:

lucyvanpelt
December 10th, 2004, 01:35 PM
thanks everyone. i'm sorry i was so defensive. all your help has been great. by the way, doggy lover, your dog is part beaver? is that even possible?
lucy

GsdDiamond
December 10th, 2004, 01:43 PM
First off....welcome to the boards!

I crate trained my pup too, and it was the best thing that could have happened. If done right, so the pup isn't afraid to go in the kennel, it can be a life saver. Some people use a crate for the dog's whole life. It's not cruel and I think it may be useful for helping potty train your new addition.

Good luck with that! As soon as you have your little angel, post pictures in the Pictures forum!!!

doggy lover
December 10th, 2004, 09:31 PM
I don't know he was born up north, and the way he chews it makes me wonder. LOL

TalonsMa
December 16th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Welcome, and congrats on your upcoming arrival :) I may have missed it, what kind of dog are you getting??
We crate Solara right from when we picked up her....she rode home in her crate.
The first week we had her I took her to work with me, after that we built a small pen for her which had her crate, potty area, toys etc. So that she wasn't in her crate all day...

HTH :)

tiernan
December 29th, 2004, 07:17 PM
At this point, I am running into a similar question. I have a 8 mo old Bichon (rescue) and she is adorable ... but definately LOVES to chew/chew/chew and get into things ... If we let her room while we were out I would be definately afraid of her chewing cords and things ... :confused: eek!

So, it looks like in the meantime that we will crate her while we are gone, starting next week, no more that 5 hours a day between myself and my husband. At least until she is older and we know her more.

We have the crate in our bedroom at night and she sleeps in the crate, no problem; however, when we put her in the crate and go to leave the house she cries and howls like she dying ... it is horrible ... and very heartbreaking ... we don't make a fuss but it is hard to hear that ...

We have only had her for two weeks, do you know if this will subside ... seems to be some strong seperation anxiety??? We tried once to do the crate training exercise I read where you put her in and sit beside the crate quiet but her cries are horrible!! :sad:

My last dog (bless her) stayed home all day fine and slept most of the time ... she had the run of the house and didn't get into anything except for the occasion garbage ... I would like the same life for Micha ...

Suggestions????? Will the crying subside?

tenderfoot
December 29th, 2004, 09:24 PM
You have a few choices - ignore the crying until it goes away, but it sounds like you are trying that to no avail. At some level she has learned that screaming will get her the attention she wants or get her out of the crate. She might have learned this in her previous home. If you continue to reward it she will do it forever. So she needs to be corrected for making bad choices.
I would put her in the crate (after some good play time or drill work) with a nice chew bone and go about my business in the house. If she started the screaming then I would stealthly go to the crate and firmly & intensely say 'quiet' as I slammed my hand down on the crate. I am not threatening to hurt her but startling her. Then I would walk away and not say a word. If she were quiet for few minutes after that then I might let her out and praise her for being quiet. If she persisted in screaming again, I would repeat the correction. She needs to learn that her screaming causes a negative response. Dogs will typically challenge a situation 3-5 times before they give up. But if you find you are having to correct her more than that then you need to increase your intensity - not loudness or harshness. There is a huge difference between me yelling at you for stepping on my toe versus me looking you in the eye as I firmly and intensely warn you never to do that again. Can you imagine the difference? Loudness has no value in a dogs world and you only have to be louder next time to get any response. So we say be intense - it works wonders.
Anyway, consistency on your part is important. She needs to go into the crate a few times throughout the day for different lengths of time. You should start practicing leaving the house and coming back without even acknowledging her. She needs to think you are a none event. Come and go so many times that she no longer notices you and barely lifts her head to greet you. Bore her to death with your coming and going. This takes a time committment on your part but it will pay off in the years to come.

doggy lover
December 30th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Try giving your pup a kong loaded with treats to keep it busy in its cage. My pup never cried when placed in his crate and like you my last dog was allowed to run the house, this one chews too.

tiernan
December 30th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Thank you both for the suggestions, I think we have decided to buy a gate and corner off the kitchen and dining room area, there is nothing within reach and she will have some room to run around and not be so confined ... she may have issues with being in a closed crate as she is a rescue. Also I will place her crate in there so that she can sleep if she wants ...

Hopefully that will be a little better. And, I will give her a few good bones and her favourite toys ...

We will see if this works!! ;)

Terrie
December 30th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Boy, isn't it great being a new parent ? :rolleyes:
This is separation anxiety... I know that when I first got Kuma, I used to hate leaving him because he was alone all day but my Mom kept telling me that you have to leave him alone so that he gets used to it... He cried and barked for a bit, but now, he's almost pushing me out the door. ( I think he has parties when i'm gone ;)
Try leaving a radio on or the tv on so that she hears voices.Make sure that you give her toys so that she can play with and keep herself busy while you are away.. Crating is NOT cruel, it will keep her safe while you are away and give you a peace of mind...

Good Luck

TobsterMom
December 30th, 2004, 02:13 PM
I didn't read every post, but I just wanted to post my experience with crate training.

We brought Toby (golden retriever) home at 9 weeks. I borrowed a medium sized plastic crate from a friend, and Toby would sleep in this the first few nights by our bed, and gradually moving downstairs. I had an old playpen belonging to my son, this came in handy when we were watching T.V, doing dishes...etc. He would be in view and had lots of room to play, and couldn't get into mischeif. When Toby grew bigger (which seemed like 3 days later) We purchase a large metal crate. Each night, or if we had to go out, we would put a treat in the crate and he would happily go in. After a while, he would see us getting a treat and automatically go in.

We NEVER left Toby in the crate for more than a few hours, if we couldn't get back, we would always have someone to phone who would come to our house and take him out to pee.

We had rules. Toby was to be taken out to pee
first thing am
1/2 hour after eating
after play
after naps
as soon as we got home.
he was never to be left out of sight.

We had a couple of minor accidents, but other that that, he was a dream to housetrain. Consistency and schedule + crate = success for us.

We weaned Toby from his crate, as we really didn't have a convenient place for it. Baby gates were the best purchase we ever made. Toby still does not have the run of the house , he is gated in the kitchen/dining area when we aren't home or can't watch him, as he is still very much a pup at 16 months. Every dog and family is different. Good luck!

meb999
December 30th, 2004, 11:18 PM
First of all, thank you Lucy for starting this thread.
Me and my husband have been arguing about this for 2 months. We plan on getting a puppy this summer. I grew up with dogs, and we always crate-trained them. All the books say to use a crate for house-breaking.
I believe that crating a dog is just like putting a baby in his crib or playpen. You do it for their safety, so they don't get into anything dangerous. My husband, on the other hand won't hear of it. He believes it is the most cruel thing to do. Especially since we dogsat my dad's puppy last week. He is 3 months old and on a strict crating schedule -- the cries that came out of him when we put him in his crate were HORRIBLE
It's nice to read the different opinions on the subject. I think I'll sugest to my dad that he give Harry (the most gorgeous springer spaniel puppy ever!) a treat when he puts him in the crate.
I've sort of come to the conclusion that crating is the best tool for housebreaking. but once my puppy will be houesebroken, I plan on giving the pup an enclosure big enough to play in when we're not home (maybe the kitchen...)

db7
December 31st, 2004, 09:25 AM
Some great points Tenderfoot. You've got to introduce the crate for short times with a dog unfamiliar with them. You've got to set the dog up for success, progress will come so much easier that way. I would add that you should feed and water the dog in the crate.

I would be a little careful about rattling the crate. It could scare the **** out of a soft dog and you don't want any negative associations with the crate itself.

mona_b
December 31st, 2004, 09:51 AM
Well I have never crated.To be honest,I really never heard of it when I had my previous GSD.He was with us for 13 years.That was 8 years ago.Then when I got Got Yukon and Tron,same thing.Never crated cause It wasn't a big thing.I blocked off the kitchen.They were both 3 months old.There was nothing they could get a hold of.I made darn sure of that. :D

They had some of there toys they would play with.When they did get a hold of something and started to chew,I would re-direct them right away.I grabbed 2 of there toys.Called them both by their names and gave a stern "NO".When they stopped,I gave them their toys and then praised them.It didn't take long before they got the hang of what they could and couldn't chew.

They key thing is to stop them when they are chewing on something they shouldn't,and re-direct them to what they could.I had to take their training very seriously,considering I was training Tron for the K9 force.

And I do know a few people who have had abused the crate training.Yes they were crating because of chewing.But they were doing nothing to teach the dog/pup not to chew.So all I did was show them how to correct it.They kept up with it.Now the crate is only used for place to sleep.Door was taken off so they go in when they want to. :)

tenderfoot
December 31st, 2004, 11:25 AM
db7 - thanks for the reminder.
I should have emphasized that you use just enough energy to get the job done. Don't be so intense that the dog is scared, but not so little that you are ignored. Find what works for your dog's sensitivity. Use your word "Quiet" in a short and sharp tone - then that will be all you need as the 'correction' will empower your word and you won't actually need it after the first few times - your word will be enough.
Feeding & watering in the crate are great tools too. It helps to create a positive association with the crate - but do not leave food in the crate all day. Meals should be quick - dog eats what he can in 10 minutes and then its taken out. Food in the crate all day will just make housetraining harder and encourage soiling the crate.

db7
December 31st, 2004, 12:39 PM
I agree totally on the feeding. Give your dog a 24/7 buffet and you have 5 times the effort to get the dog to pay attention to you, never mind a fat dog. And before you can teach a dog anything it has to be paying attention to you. You want respect? Let that dog drool in front of his food before he gets it! My girl won't even drink after her run until she sees I have a glass of water in my hand for myself and I didn't teach her that. It's just that she relates it to her food, or should I say MY food that I share with her when I'm finished eating. Not that I eat the dog food, but she doesn't know that.

NEVER have to use a NO command. She doesn't even know what it means. Anytime I want to change her actions I just call her and she comes running.:thumbs up

Don't worry, she's very well feed. :)

layla
January 14th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Since we are on the crate subject. My baby will be a year old at the end of the month, and when she's left alone she's a bad girl...ya know because of boredom and so on.....she chews on my window sill and part of the stairs. We confined her in an area but she found a way to destroy the house anyways....We didn't train her with a crate, now I wish I did. Is it too late? I went and bought one today and will use it tomorrow for the first time. Should I make her go in it first before leaving her alone in it? How should I proceed to make this transition for her easier?

Copper'sMom
January 14th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Since we are on the crate subject. My baby will be a year old at the end of the month, and when she's left alone she's a bad girl...ya know because of boredom and so on.....she chews on my window sill and part of the stairs. We confined her in an area but she found a way to destroy the house anyways....We didn't train her with a crate, now I wish I did. Is it too late? I went and bought one today and will use it tomorrow for the first time. Should I make her go in it first before leaving her alone in it? How should I proceed to make this transition for her easier?

I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure whether or not now is a good time to start crate training but I'm sure other people will have their suggestions! I do wonder.......is your dog getting enough exercise?? This would lead to destructive behaviour while you are away from home because the dog would have built up energy and needs to expel it some how! Plenty of toys might help as well.

layla
January 14th, 2005, 08:35 PM
she has toys, bones everything a dog desires... I let her out in the morning to do her thing and at night she'll spend more time outside playing running and so on....she only does these things when we leave her...except for that she's an amazing dog, very intelligent. When we tell her it's bath time she jumps in the bath and waits to get washed...isn't that neat?

twinmommy
January 14th, 2005, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure either if it is a good time, but I would maybe try 5 min. at a time. When you said you want to try it tomorrow, you're not going out just yet are you? I would stick around see how she is in it, see what happens when you leave the room, and work up to an hour slowly, before I would actually leave the house.

Maybe see what Tenderfoot has to say about her age.... :thumbs up

Copper'sMom
January 14th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Number one rule for crate training:

Never crate your dog as punishment!!! This will associate negativity with the crate and the dog will become fearful of the crate!

layla
January 14th, 2005, 08:58 PM
we have tried the crate tonight, we told her to go in her house and we praised her and gave her a treat, all the while staying with her...at one point I even went it to see how big it was :D ha! both dog and husband laughed at me...ha! she even went in it at the same time as me without me asking her...the crate is in the living room and she has been going in and out of it since we have put it up so....we will try the leaving her alone thing for 15 min. tonight too while i go fold my laundry downstairs, we'll se how that goes...

momofrhonda
January 15th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Hi! We just folded up our Goldie's crate last week. (She's 8 months old now.) If I had to do it all over again, I would crate train in a snap. When we were gone during the day, we didn't have to worry what sort of mess our house would be in when we got home. We enjoyed Rhonda so much more! She was only in her crate for 4 hours max as my husband would come home at lunch at let her run in the backyard. At night, she would sleep in her crate and never wake up once! It made housetraining a breeze. Rhonda may have messed 6 times in our house total! When she was really little, even for naps, we would set her in her crate and she knew when she woke up that we would take her outside. She has a pet pillow now that she loves to sleep on, but I think her favorite spot is anywhere our feet are! :angel: If not abused, crate training can be very beneficial and enjoyable. :) I think dogs tend to respect your house more too...

LavenderRott
January 15th, 2005, 06:01 PM
IMHO, there are way too many things that a pup can get into when no one is home and the dog is loose.

Some 20 years ago, I had a GSD pup. She was never crate trained, but was confined to the kitchen when we were not home. One day I came home from the store to discover that she had eaten the electrical cord off of my refrigerator! Thank goodness, it didn't kill her. You can bet the next pup I get will be crate trained from day one.

layla
January 16th, 2005, 12:00 AM
just a quick update....we have left her alone in her crate tonight and when we got home she was sleeping!!! She was happy to see us gave her a treat and sent her outside...thanks again for the input