Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Too cold to walk

lilpaws
December 8th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Well it is minus a gizillion here in Calgary and my pooch has been severly neglected for her walks. She seems okay outside for a while but does anyone know what is "safe" weather (temp.) and for how long before they get too cold. I don't want to freeze her paws. She is a 52 lb yellow lab cross.

lilith_rizel
December 8th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Uhmmmm. I am not so sure on what temp is too cold. But I had a yellow lab mix growing up, and she was always outside. She loved it. And being from Minnesota, it did get cold! I am sure that a 5 or 10 minute walk would be fine. Just start out slow, and watch for signs that your dog is getting cold. Start at 5 minutes, and work your way up, until you have found out when it is too much for her. It is the only thing I can suggest.

Now if it was a little dog, under 40 pounds, it would be different, and walking may not be the best, if it is cold. You could also find a doggie sweater and doggie boots that would fit your dog. It will give her some extra warmth, and then you wouldn't have to worry about her paws getting as cold.

Cinnabear
December 8th, 2004, 02:44 PM
I live in Northern Alberta. My guide is if it falls below -15 they do not go for walks. When they start to lift their paws it's too cold for a walk. They do give their :sad: look when I go out the door. You would think they would understand it's too bloody cold for a walk. :D I have small dogs.

lilith_rizel
December 8th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Small dogs are the worst at wanting to go out when it is freezing. Atleast from my experience. We have had about 5 or 6 small dogs, and who knows how many large dogs. The large dogs could care less on when they were let out, on the cold days.

chico2
December 8th, 2004, 05:33 PM
My three cats will sit by the patio-door and wait,being used to me taking them outside every day,I bundle up and let them out,if it's really cold they take fivesteps and want back inside....It makes me wonder about all the poor strays out there,cats definetly do not like the cold weather :sad:

CyberKitten
December 8th, 2004, 05:37 PM
I agree Chico!! I really wonder about those poor creatures!! Yin Yin abhors the cold. I have not taken her outside (and that was just to the deck!) since it was 12C and she was freezing then, yearning to get back inside. So we lasted out there all of 5 minutes.

It was -27 with the wind chill this AM and we are "ejoying" a minor blizzard (No classes, No emegencies, a warm home, lots to eat and Yin Yin has lots of toys and treats- what's not to like, lol) ao we will not be going anywhere! She is an indoor kitty anyway. (I wonder if she'll like Florida later this month?)

But thinking about those poor babies out there in the cold (even cats whose humans leave them out too long) makes me so sad and angry!!

SarahLynn123
December 8th, 2004, 05:51 PM
I live in Calgary as well and it is freezing here! I have 15lb Cockerspaniel and we went for a 25min walk last night, it was -24 out. (brrrr) I bought her muttlucks which I found out were the best from a prior thread and they really are great.I will also be getting her a sweater soon. I keep an eye on her for signs that she wants to go home or is getting cold, and we walk around the block that has lots of short cuts home if we need it. Also we dont stop moving and we never walk towards the wind if there is any. Shes a fast little walker so her muscles are always moving and we keep quite warm that way. I figure for us -30 we are staying inside no matter how much she whines. You know your dog best and will beable to tell when its time to go home. Hope this help some!

heeler's rock!
December 8th, 2004, 05:57 PM
I hear ya there Sarah! I can't believe how cold it is!!!!! Red hates the cold so when she goes out with Kia and Helix, she poops and pees quickly, hoping to come insdie, but the pups want to play so they take their time peeing and pooping, sniffind and playing around!! Red gets sooooo mad!! She just wants to come home and warm up on the couch. My poor baby!! I promise when Belle is with me that I will only take her out with Red so they can do their stuff and come right back home when it's really cold out! :)

mastifflover
December 8th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Yeah I have found that they do let you know when they are cold. Even my little pony lets me know when he has had enough. Buddy has a fair amount of weight on him and there are some days when we only go out long enough for a pee and poo and when it is cold it amazing how fast they can find the perfect spot that normally takes a lot longer to find.

lilith_rizel
December 8th, 2004, 06:00 PM
I see cats wondering around here all the time, luckily it isn't cold yet. But I do wonder if they belong to anyone. I see the same three cats everyday. There is a black one and 2 grey ones. I have a feeling that they are strays, being that I always see them going into the drain fields, and hide under a cement slab. I would really love to take one in, but they never let anyone get close to them.

BMDLuver
December 8th, 2004, 06:03 PM
I thought it was cold living in Montreal, I am so glad I am not in Alberta right now! Heavens, I didn't know it gets that cold there. I feel for you and the animals!

SarahLynn123
December 8th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Sounds good! Hopefully the weather warms up by then! Belle absolutly loves her walks and we are on such a routine that if we are a little behind she gets restless! She will make it well known when shes cold though, she will lay down wherever she is (usually in the middle of a road) and refuse to walk! This happened before we got her winter boots. You should have fun with her, she has quite a lot of quirks.

Catt31
December 8th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Brick is the same way! We had such a good routine going, then it got cold!! SUCKS!!!!!!! He's antsy, wants to play, wants to walk, but its just way too cold!!! It's supposed to warm up tomorrow though!!! Yippeeee!!!! :crazy:

Pami - if it's warm Sun...we're on for 11:00 at River Park ok???

heeler's rock!
December 8th, 2004, 06:24 PM
We sure are Chris!!! :) Sarah, you and Belle should join us!! It's going to be our "ritual" from now on! Hehehehe! I'm so excited! It's supposed ot be like -2 on Sunday, so kinda like living in the tropics I guess!!! :p :rolleyes:

heeler's rock!
December 8th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Sarah, I totally look forward to spending time with Belle! She's gonna have a great time with us I'm sure. :)

pitbulliest
December 8th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Dogs should never be left outside in the cold...especially overnight? That's crazy...period..I think that's just darn cruel...no matter how comfortable they seem....letting a dog sleep in negative degree whether is insanity...even if its an alaskan malamute..I'm sorry but dogs are social creatures and a part of the family..I don't understand why people wouldn't keep their dogs WITH them in the house, especially at night..

As for walks..its starting to get chilly here too..I put a sweater on my pittie and she's got booties for when it starts to get snowy and icy outside...other than that..there's nothing else you can do...I'm thinking of looking into some agility classes for Messina over the winter...that might help with keeping those holiday pounds off her butt..lol

Terrie
December 8th, 2004, 07:07 PM
I have a GSD and he loves the cold... I only gage the weather with myself and once I can't feel my nose, it's in the house we go.. and for his paws, they sell boots at Pet Smart, but it's a real treat putting them on, once they get used to it... he's toasty just like mom. I'm more worried about the salt on the roads, sidewalks then the snow...

You can always buy a treadmill :thumbs up

badger
December 8th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Lilith, if you were of a mind to, you could help out the ferals by providing them with shelter and lots of calories (dry kitten food, augmented with butter, meat drippings, anything fatty). Here is a link that you might find useful. As you will see, a shelter doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. Then perhaps in the spring you could rent a humane trap and have them neutered. Even if you have to release them again, they will be far better off.

http://www.petfinder.org/journalindex.cgi?path=public/animalcare/feralcats/1.5.1.txt

lilith_rizel
December 8th, 2004, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=badger]Lilith, if you were of a mind to, you could help out the ferals by providing them with shelter and lots of calories (dry kitten food, augmented with butter, meat drippings, anything fatty). Here is a link that you might find useful. As you will see, a shelter doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. Then perhaps in the spring you could rent a humane trap and have them neutered. Even if you have to release them again, they will be far better off. QUOTE]

Thanks for the info badger. I am hoping to gain the black one's trust one day. I have about a year and a half to work on him, until I have to move again. The two gray ones are pretty too, but here we are only allowed 2 pets ( as far as cats and dogs, caged animals don't count). I think that with James permission, I will try to get them all to come in, to atleast eat. They live about2 blocks from here, though. But maybe if I can gain one's trust before it gets too cold, and bring him in to eat, he will show the other's where we live. If I am unable to keep them all, I will probably try to rehome them, or bring them to the local shelter. I know that they do spay and neuter before adoption.

CyberKitten
December 8th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Bagder,

That is a great article. Thanks so much for the link. I do not see too many ferals but I was happy for the info (and it brought back warm memories of my grandmother and her feral colony).

And whoever remarked about the cold in Alta, you'd NEVER survive in the Maritimes. We have been known to get temps of -40C (at that temp, both F and C are the same, identical temp). But I HAVE seen the weather channel indicate a -43 with the wind chill. The older I get though, the more I hate the cold. (Yet I turned down a recruiter from Texas and also from Univ of South Fla - if they were to come back some cold Feb day, lol)

heeler's rock!
December 9th, 2004, 01:13 AM
Ha! I remember one winter where, with the windchill, it was -50!!! I remember because I was taking the bus to work that night. We can get quite cold here in the prairies!! We've just been lucky so far this winter, so we're being babies about the -22 with the windchill that it's been for the past few days!!:)

Freyja
December 9th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Can we come too?? Where exactly? What time??

Lindy and I would finally love to meet you all!?!?!

Freyja
December 9th, 2004, 01:23 AM
My cat who I had for 20 years hated when it snowed. He would run out the front door and then freeze, realize it had snowed and do the whole "OMG, what is on my feet!!!" routine. He would then "pussyfoot" back inside and want to go out the back door and was extremely PO'd that the weather was the same out there as well. Funny thing is that he did the same thing every year for 20 years. Kinda like the drivers in Calgary, first snow and they forget how to drive.

badger
December 9th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Oh yeah and we all know the routine where they sit at the door you have just opened - shall I go, shall I stay, eeenie-meenie-mynie-mo - while the furnace roars to life. Reminds me of an old cartoon strip featuring a maid called Hazel - none of you will remember it, it is lost in the mists of time - where she is standing at the door with the cat, providing a weather report (sun, 40 degrees, light wind - anything else?) while the cat ponders.

Iggette
December 9th, 2004, 08:12 AM
yes, thanks Badger for that link, it was very informative.

My cats (with the exception of Jerk and the stray) hate the cold and don't bother with going outside again until the spring.
On really sunny, warmer days I will let them out and they like to roll on the pavement then run back inside :D

Buddy was astonished at the snow, it's his first winter.....Ursa will go out and roll in it all day if you let her, but she is to old for that now....I let her roll around a bit then I make sure she gets a good walk then send her back in the house to keep her joints warm :( .....she thinks I have become a crabby old woman that won't let her play :evil:

chico2
December 9th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Awwww cats and their quirks :crazy: It's funny how they seem to think it will be better weather going out another door,at least that's what I think they think!! and the sniffing in the door-way with the furnace blasting :D hubbie gets all up in arms.
Since I go out with my cats,I have to go out anyway to feed my birds,,..I've been know to stay out there and make a snow-man or something,while the "delicat"kitties do everything they can to avoid wetting their paws and scurrie back inside.
I fully agree with Badger,if you see a stray cat outside in the cold,please help him/her,feed them on a regular basis,once you start,you have to continue..catch them if you can,maybe feed them from a shed or garage and slowly gain their confidence.If it's cold for us,it's cold for the cats/dogs!

CarlaD
December 9th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Charlie and Willy love the cold and they don't seem bothered by it.

If they don't go for a walk they go crazy, and I have never seen Willy shy away from the door when I say walk time!

But when it is really cold, the walk will be cut down and I keep a very close eye on them.

Catt31
December 9th, 2004, 09:29 AM
JANE!!! So good to see you again!!!! I lost your # :o OF COURSE you can come!!!!! River park is south on Crowchild to 50th Ave, head east to the very end, there is a parking lot. You go past Central Memorial high school & safety city. Can't miss it!!! We would LOVE to meet you too!!!! PM me if you want my #.

Sunday @ 11 @ River Park for anyone else in Calgary too!!! It'll be FUN!! I'll bring my camera!!!! :grouphug:

dove
December 9th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Burrrr, winter!. My dogs actually love the cold, but I hate it. Well I guess they are lucky and I have to suffer.

doggy lover
December 9th, 2004, 02:12 PM
I know what your talking about last winter we had a few days -30 and our dog then would go outside and collaps on the ground from the cold in his feet. He had bone cancer and could only walk on three legs so this didn't help. Find inside games to play, hide the kids\toys\treats and get your dog to find them, teach new tricks, retreving. Keep the dogs mind busy you would be surprised how fast they tire out.

Gazoo
December 25th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Well it is minus a gizillion here in Calgary and my pooch has been severly neglected for her walks. She seems okay outside for a while but does anyone know what is "safe" weather (temp.) and for how long before they get too cold. I don't want to freeze her paws. She is a 52 lb yellow lab cross.

I'm in Cowtown too and I will walk my guys 20 to 30 minutes even if it's -30 :eek: I have an Aussie and a BC-ACD cross and let me tell ya they NEED to run even when it's -30.

They of course have to be used to it and need to build up a tolerance.....sometimes they get do get cold pads early in the winter but they do toughen up.

How do you think the coyotes around here go about their business in the winter? :D

I imagine its more difficult with the short coated breeds though.

Gazoo

pitbulliest
December 25th, 2004, 01:27 AM
It was so funny. I live in Toronto and its freezing here right now...the snow has actually frozen solid so you can walk on it without falling in..its really sad cuz if my dogs don't wear their booties, they cut their legs up pretty bad on the icy snow...ouchie...

I don't even want to imagine what animals that are outdoors are going through..like feral cats..

but anyways, this is kind of funny. Today my boyfriend opened his front door for about three minutes just to let some of the fresh brisk air into the house since he's heating it up quite a bit and it tends to get stuffy at times...well his two cats are mainly indoors...in the summer they'll run outside every now and then and come back in a few hours...but today they really had it coming! lol Maggie (one of his cats) saw a great opportunity to escape yet again. Too bad she didn't know what the weather was like outside. She ZOOMS past him and out the door and stops dead in her tracks as soon as her paws hit the frozen snow...she turns around and ZOOMS into the house again and hides..HAHAHA... a few hours later he opens the door again just to see her reaction, and she didn't even try to go outside, instead she ran the other way and into his bedroom.

lol what an episode I tell ya :D

Catt31
December 25th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Gazoo, are you ever going to join us on our Sunday walks at River Park?? Brick would love a little competition in the running department!!! He loves running!!! We'll keep ya posted when the next one is!!!

CyberKitten
December 25th, 2004, 12:01 PM
It is actually not much warmer here in Florida than it is home in the Maritimes. It is 45F this AM but will admittedly go up to 65 or so. BUT it is slated to be 12C in Halifax today!!! However, my folks are here so here we are. It's not beach weather tho. My brother wanted to go to the beach but it was too cold. (I told him he was a wuss, lol)

Yin Yin agrees with the assessment - pokes her nose out the door and pokes it right back in (being held the whole time - like I am going to let her out, NO WAY!!). She loves panic mouse!!! (and I guess I do too, haha)

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Schwinn
December 27th, 2004, 09:30 AM
I took Daisy outside on Friday while I shoveled part of the driveway (part I left snowed in, and the other part had a wierd snowbank for feet high that was solid. Just used the Red Ranger to break through that part! Yes, I could have shoveled, but where's the fun in that?) I took Daisy out who LOVES to chase the snow while I shovel (and she keeps the snow banks down). After an hour (at which time I still had only gotten enough room for one car), I stopped for a minute because I was pooped from tossing the snow across the yard for Daisy to chase, I noticed she was shivering BIG TIME! But she didn't. She wanted to keep chasing the snow. I felt really bad and took her in and toweled her off, and instead of warming up on her mat, she sat by the door whining to come outside!

oreokitty
December 28th, 2004, 12:34 PM
I hear you! We are in Calgary too. Our rule of thumb is if it is too cold for us it is too cold for Kohl. If our ears are cold so is his. We bring him to Puppy Daycare twice a week so he gets more excercise inside that what we can provide him...