Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Puppy and Older Dog?

ShelbySashaSadi
December 8th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Ok Hi guys...Im here for some advice..I just got a new golden retriever two days ago (Sadie)...she is four months old. and ive had my other dog (Shelby) for eight years....shes not very happy about sadie which of course is expected. i just wanna know if anyone has some ideas about how to make this transition easier for both of them. and sadie is almost trained but of course she still has her accidents and everytime she gets up or finishes eating im always putting her outside but half the time she doesnt go. and i just wanna know if there are any specific signs i can look for so im not always putting her outside after everything she does. and i just got a kennel for her cause it really helped to train shelby when she was a puppy...but my mom did the training there and i just wanna know how i can make it easier for her to stay in it at night without her crying. if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated...Thank You

Lucky Rescue
December 8th, 2004, 01:14 PM
First of all , do not PUT the puppy out to go potty. Take her out on a leash and wait til she goes, so you can praise her and teach her that is good. This is very important. Take her out after she eats, or sleeps. Signs that she needs to go can be sniffing and circling.

Give your older dog most of the attention. I know it's hard to ignore a cute puppy, but you need to do this so your older dog doesn't become resentful and see the puppy as the cause of her being upset. She was there first, after all.;)

Don't let the puppy bug her too much. She'll get used to it, and they may end up being great friends.

lilith_rizel
December 8th, 2004, 02:13 PM
I agree with Lucky, and most of all, remember it will take some time, and patience