Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feline sexual behaviour

louie's mum
December 8th, 2004, 09:44 AM
this may end up being a very strange post. :o
i have a ? about sexual maturity in male cats. Louie has been very very restless the past few days. aalso very vocal which isn't like him. squeaks at me everytime i say something to him or he walks by, and really meows in the sunroom where the back door is. he's smelling EVERYTHING, especially stuff from outside and basically being REALLY weird. doesn't want to be petted then won't get away from me.
now anyone who's seen pics of Louie knows this boy is a spread eagle freak :crazy: and this a.m. when we woke up, well, i leaned over to say good a.m. (:rolleyes: can't help it) and was surprised. do unaltered cats have erections (not sure how else to describe it) and is this combined with all the other weird behaviours what they do when they're itching to get out there?
are they uncomfortable when they're not able to get at a female?
he is being neutered tomorrrow thank god (eeek - another story about ME being nervous) and i'm all but praying he'll hold off spraying or anything.

badger
December 8th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Since you have strolled into a familiar neighbourhood....wait for it...MASTURBATION. My Badger goes at it regularly, to the point where I gave him his own blanket after finding out there can be ejaculate. So the spraying may be over, but the urge does not disappear. I have no idea if this is widespread behaviour, but I read on one vet's website that it's perfectly normal and one should not intervene. Oh, and there's a pervy little sound track that goes with it, after which he collapses in a happy heap. Who knew?

louie's mum
December 8th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Oh, and there's a pervy little sound track that goes with it, after which he collapses in a happy heap. Who knew?

rolmao ... i HAD to ask.
thanks for answering.
the (pervy :D ) sound track might (most certainly would) have freaked me out if and when. i'll have to get him his own special softy blanket ... i don't want him using MINE ! :D
he sure is acting like a teenager right now. obstinent (sp) & moody.
i'm just waiting for the parties to start when i'm not home ;)

tug'smomma
December 8th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Oh my!! I never knew that! Do male dogs do this too?? We have recently adopted a 2 yr old male australian shepard. We have always had female animals so I never really thought about it much. Uhm interesting....You learn something new everyday

Lucky Rescue
December 8th, 2004, 10:37 AM
are they uncomfortable when they're not able to get at a female?

No, but intact toms are constantly driven to find females in heat, scent mark, and to fight other males. The only time they aren't doing this is when they're sleeping and usually exhausted.

There are rare exceptions, but toms cannot be kept as indoor pets due to these strong drives. Even if you could stand the smell, an intact tom kept indoors can become very aggressive due to these drives being frustrated.

But yes, they'll still "hump" even when neutered. :p

Dogs will do the same and even female dogs will as well!

louie's mum
December 8th, 2004, 11:02 AM
No, but intact toms are constantly driven to find females in heat, scent mark, and to fight other males. The only time they aren't doing this is when they're sleeping and usually exhausted.

There are rare exceptions, but toms cannot be kept as indoor pets due to these strong drives. Even if you could stand the smell, an intact tom kept indoors can become very aggressive due to these drives being frustrated.

But yes, they'll still "hump" even when neutered. :p

Dogs will do the same and even female dogs will as well!

thanks Lucky Rescue ... louie has been biting (nipping at me when i try to pet him) but is really aggressively biting at my blanket. he tears at his toys like a madman till the stuffing's coming out. he never exhibited this behaviour till past week to 10 days or so. even tho i haven't had him that long, it didn't seem like him if that makes any sense?
do u think this will calm down after operation?
if so, how long does it take?

Lucky Rescue
December 8th, 2004, 12:21 PM
How old is Louie again? If he is 7 or 8 months old, yes his behavior can be hormonal. But males that age can be rough in play, and clumsy - sort of like teen-aged boys!

Neutering usually eliminates behaviors created by testosterone, so will go away after the neutering. How long it takes depends on the age of the cat.

If a kitten is neutered at 5 months or so, these behaviors should never appear.

If an adult male who has already been in fights, mated, scent-marked, etc. is neutered, it could take a long time for ingrained behaviors to stop, since you can't remove their memories along with their "goods". :D

GsdDiamond
December 8th, 2004, 01:04 PM
An ex of mine used to have a male cat that was neutered. He had a "girlfriend" in a little stuffed white cat. It was the funniest thing to watch.

He would find his girlfriend somewhere in the house, pick her up by the scruff and bring her to his food bowl. He would eat, drink, then pick her up and walk away with her. Next thing you know he's doing the nasty dance with her. One time I guess she didn't want to put out, so he brought her back to the food bowl, dumped her into it (literally) and went back to get her some 10 minutes later and tried agian. I guess she didn't put out again so he started to beat her up.
I caught it on tape once and tried not to pee while I laughed so hard at it! My mom started giggling once out of the blue. I asked her why and she said she could picture little stuffed black and white kittens all over the place! It was the funniest picture!!!!

The moral of this story...get him a little stuffed cat and watch his joy!

louie's mum
December 8th, 2004, 01:35 PM
How old is Louie again? If he is 7 or 8 months old, yes his behavior can be hormonal. But males that age can be rough in play, and clumsy - sort of like teen-aged boys!

Neutering usually eliminates behaviors created by testosterone, so will go away after the neutering. How long it takes depends on the age of the cat.

If a kitten is neutered at 5 months or so, these behaviors should never appear.

If an adult male who has already been in fights, mated, scent-marked, etc. is neutered, it could take a long time for ingrained behaviors to stop, since you can't remove their memories along with their "goods". :D

Thanks again Lucky. u give great info.
he's exactly somewhere around 7 or 8 months old. :rolleyes: hopefully all will be well and i'll get my little cuddle bunny back. i don't mind the rough play so much but he seems really out of sorts and he wants affection but then can't seem to stop himself from nippin. it's the demon inside :evil: :D
can't wait to have tomorrow behind us. aside from the neutering i'll also have vet check him over in case there's anything else bugging the boy ! ... he's so antisocial today :( better asleep in the closet than pacing the room i guess.
GSD ... that's hillarious. i have a stuffed kitty around here somewhere. i've had it for eons ... wonder how he'll make out :p with her.
arrr rrr rrr
thanks for the tip

Lucky Rescue
December 8th, 2004, 01:52 PM
OMG GSD, that is really hilarious!!!! :p Reminds me of a story someone told on another board about her JRT:

------------------------------------------------
"Every Christmas, my parents collect new toys for children and my dad will take a week off to distribute them churches and shelters. As you can imagine, these toys in bags take over their home around that time of year. Now, I'll get back to that in a sec.

We adopted Sporty not fully understanding what type of baggage he was bringing with him-that poor dear. He had some dominance issues, and they liked to manifest themselves in the occasional humpfest. It first began with dad, and he made his way through the entire immediate family before he realized he was low man on the totem pole. Unfortunately, he began to seduce the visitors. He had a brief love affair with my uncles ankle for a while there. When it seemed we had finally broken him of this crass habit...

It must have been the charm of the season, or the cozy mood a light dusting of snow outside and a warm fire will stir up. Sport spotted him from across the room and fell fast and hard. Yes folks, it happened to be the overstuffed purple dinosaur we all know as "Barney". Barney was waiting patiently in a sack with the rest of the toys for their forever home when his fate was sealed. Sport grabbed him and Barney seemed look into his eyes and say, "you had me at hello."

I know, kinda funny...and a little strange. But what makes this grab-your-sides-and-laugh-you-booty-off funny is the fact that if you find the "right spot" on him, Barney likes "bedroom talk." While Sporty is humping away at speeds only a Jack Russell can muster, Barney is whispering sweet nothing in his ear. "You're my very special friend,"..."It's fun to use your imagination,"...and simply put, "come and play with me." Ah Sporty, you are a love gawd.

He needed someone to dominate, and as long as it isn't our legs and Barney remains enthusiastic to partake, no harm no foul.

So in our parts, the purple dino you let your kids play with is known as "the interactive hump-me-Barney". Uck."

CyberKitten
December 8th, 2004, 03:33 PM
I know I've told this story before but my while my bunny was neutered, he too would hump just about anything prior to it the surgery (and I was VERY anxious for this surgery but the vet said 6 mos!). he attempted to hump our beagle puppy, (quite the chasing there) and the beagle never again sought to chase the rabbit - it was always the other way around - but a sock with a foot in it was also seen as a possibility by my beloved Tanner.

This only lasted a week and a half maybe (a LONG week and a half!) but even after neutering, he'd look to hump something (minus the rest of it). I bought him a Ty Beanie Buddy - a rabbit of course (there are larger than the regular beanies) - and they became inseperable. I still have "Buddy" - he reminds me of my bunny (sob!!! -I have not really over mourning him - he was so very unique!!!).

But Louie should be fine!!

Just in case, you can buy plush kitties at the pet store or get a cat buddy, lol

(NOTE: This is NOT why I opted for a FEMALE cat this time, lol)

chico2
December 8th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Well,I have 3 neutered males full of tetesterone(sp?)I actually think Rocky and Chico are gay...every day around 3pm,Chico starts meowing,running around wiggling his little butt,Rocky might be having his after-noon nap,but is quickly up to the challenge.He'll actually grab Chico by the neck....but then Chico realizes he's gone too far and cries for mom to save him,which I do....only to watch him start teasing all over again :D
Little Vinnie is watching wondering what the heck they are doing,he has himself all worked up over one of my good throws(took me a month to crochet!!)and it seems to satisfy his urges,he is in complete la-la-land kneading my throw :D
Neutering is the same as a vasectomy on a man,they still get the urge,just cannot make any more babies.

Sneaky2006
December 8th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Same here chico! I think Snooky and Stormy are gay too!
The same thing happens every time... Stormy will lay on his back in the middle of the floor and start howling, Snooky will run to him like clockwork and start biting his neck, followed by licking, then more biting.... they even get into the '69' position and bite and lick.... But it's funny, neither of them do this with the girls... Hmmmm.
Snooky also has a stuffed cat he does this to when Stormy is not in the mood, but he humps it and tears off hair and kicks it sooo hard with his back legs. We call it 'kick starting'... I don't know, maybe he thinks it's a girl?? :p :clown:

louie's mum
December 9th, 2004, 06:57 PM
it's helpful to know kind of what to expect.
i picked up a little christmas moose for Louie today while he was in surgery lol.
maybe they'll become buddies ;)
the stories really are humerous and wonderful. thanks.

Bugsy
December 19th, 2004, 01:12 AM
Lmao..... :D