Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

medication for no-pain migranes?

raingirl
December 7th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Does anyone here have migraines?

I have an odd form of migraines where I don't get pain. I think they are called ocular migraines. What happens is I get vascular spasms that affect the vision only (I get shooting stars across my vision...kind of fun actually).

I have had them since as long as I can remember, but never taken anything for them. The docs have never been concerned about it.

I had an episode yesterday, and today I just feel crappy. I was wondering if regular migraines sufferers feel crappy the next day? I don't recall this happening before, so it may not be related.

Today I feel dizzy and fatigued.

It's probably unrelated, just wanted to ask.

Also, do you think taking a medication (like advil) for migraines might make me feel better even without pain, as advil is supposed to stop the vasular spasm? I thought that if my dizzyness now might be related, then maybe it would help?

Sheriffmom
December 7th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Hey Raingirl,
I get terrible migranes, nausea etc.... I find that as soon as I know one is comming I crush up Tylenol or ASA and put it under my tongue. This seems to keep the migrane at bay, or at least tone it down a notch.
If you are having spasms, might a muscle relaxant help? (Like a prescrip. for Naproxen?)
You should PM Cyber cat, as I belive she is a doctor.
And BTW I feel crappy the next day..... I think I wear myself out with the migrane, and the next day I feel tired, lethargic and generally like i am recovering from the flu or soemthing.
Hope you feel better soon. :grouphug:

raingirl
December 7th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Thanks. I thought maybe a muscle relaxant as well. It could be the weather as well, since it's pretty sucky out there, and I tend to feel headachy when there is precipitation outside.

I have to go see my doc next week, maybe I'll ask her about it.

I just noticed the new smilies!!

:clown: :queen: :king: :yuck: :grouphug:

DogueLover
December 7th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Hi,
I take aleve for migranes. You can only get it in Canada by prescription but if you or anyone you know goes to the USA they can bring some back for you. The only thing is that sometimes at customs they will take it from you. Talk to your doctor and you may be able to get some thru them. I found that taking 2 at the first sign of a migrane makes it go away and stay away.
I usually don`t get too many but the ones I get I call Whammies because they hit me like a brick wall.

Give the Aleve a try, they work like magic for me.

If you feel crappy try taking gravol, I know it sounds dumb but that is what you get when they give you migrane medication at the hospital.

Hope you feel better soon Migranes suck :yuck:

raingirl
December 7th, 2004, 12:14 PM
I thought about gravol, but the only time I ever took it was on a flight to hawaii! Boy was that a mistake. The gravol actually made me feel worse!

I took pepto for the nasea associated with my dizzyness...and as long as I don't jerk my head too much, I'm ok.

I just got a call and moved to fast to answer the phone and my head was so dizzy it almost went down and hit my desk! I didn't even hear what the person said after I answered and had to have them repeat!

I think I will catch an early train tonight!

Sunkist/Winnie
December 7th, 2004, 12:42 PM
I get very severe migranes - bed ridden until they are gone and the next day or two I've felt like I've done battle with a train - and lost. I'm totally exhausted, even though I didn't do anything the day before except suffer a lot of pain. My eyes aren't affected the same way yours are, they can't handle the light when the migraine is fullforce, so a quite dark room is needed.

I've tried taking different medications, but I seem to get the headache anyways the pills just seem to delay the inevitable. I think the term 'rebound headaches' is what is used when this happens.

I found it was better to find out what gave me the headches and tried to avoid those instead of playing with drugs. A big one with me was inconsistent meal times, I'd eat when I was hungry or got a chance, since I've figured this was a trigger I've made a point of having three meals a day, or at least not waiting until I was absolutely starving before sitting down to eat. I also try and exercise, especially when I'm under a lot of stress.

I still get them, I eat something that sets me off, or the weather changes drastically...but compared to the 1-2 times a month I was getting them I can handle the 1 every 4-5 months.

It did take me a long time to figure out what was setting mine off...but in the longrun it was worth it.

GsdDiamond
December 7th, 2004, 01:03 PM
I get those "shooting stars" all the time...and I mean every day. I just thought they were some sort of nerve thing, not migranes. I've only ever had one whopper of a migrane, but I normally get headaches that last a few days to a week in length. I usually use Ibuprofen fo get rid of the headache. I find it works better than Aleve, which I also bring up from the US on business trips.

Sneaky2006
December 7th, 2004, 01:43 PM
I always thought shooting stars were a sign of high blood pressure...
Are they normally related to migranes?

CyberKitten
December 7th, 2004, 02:13 PM
There are some good Migraine medications now - all by presciption. If you have a really bad migrane, one of the best cures is to go to an ER be administered the drug Metoclopramide (Maxeran). This medication had traditionally been used for people with digestive problems but has been found to treat Migraine really well. Usually, we give the person 10 mg by IV and then some other meds (anti-inflamatories and other meds). I hate to use narcotics for migraines - especially in my work with children - but in some teenagers (it is mostly teens I see with migraines), they can work at low levels.

Some of the best meds for a migraine that does not send you to the ER - and a prophelactic preventative measure - are antidepressants, an anti seizure drug called gabapentin (that is also great for chronic pain, esp nerve pain)

Most of the OTC meds just contain caffeiene with a lot of acetamenophen (and I am not a fan of more acetamenophen!!) - it may seem safe but too many and you can seriusly injure your liver. ASA is actually better but it of course can cause stomach upset. (best to try ASA with caffeine and a large glass of milk!) (The same is true for any NSAID like naproxen sodium (Aleve) or ibuprofen.

One of the best new meds is Imitrex but you should be certain it really is a migraine before taking it becayse it constricts blood vessels.

I am not sure what to tell you about the next day. Probably rest s the best bet! (and if you take any of the anti-migraine meds, you will have enough meds in your system.) Gabapentin would certainly help the pain and the symptoms you have described!

(BUT please note --- you should see your family doc, I don't like to prescribe anything online, :) )

I hope you feel better soon!!!

raingirl
December 7th, 2004, 04:46 PM
GsdDiamond, I get them a lot too, but this is the first time I felt bad after it.

I told my mom about them when i was a kid and she took me to the doc, who said that they were nothing to worry about. I recently told my current doc about them, and she said that they were probably ocular migraines, not high blood pressure (although they are closely related she said, since it's a constriction/spasm of the vessels providing blood to the eye, so technically the pressure can go up causing the stars, but it's not technically high pressure)

The other thing that is worrying me today is I just got home and wanted to take my temp as I was feeling a little feverish. well..I got a shock. Normal temp is 98.7 F right? My temp was 95.6 F!!! I did it three times in 30 minutes, and all the times it was in the 95 range :eek: ! I am currently under investigation for hypothyroid and hypoglycemia, so I will definately have to let my doc know as I was told low temps are symptom of both.

louie's mum
December 8th, 2004, 06:32 AM
imitrex or zomig (sp) - (especially the rapid melt kind under the tongue) will usually work for me. if only to let me get a little sleep and take the really bad edge off. like the rapid melt especially if nausea is present cuz i can't keep anything down. have to be careful as cyberkitten states. (can't have high blood pressure and take)
feel wrung out and spacey days following
i go in stages where i get what i call 'zingers' in my head. i think these things could knock down a horse ;)
think we can all agree on one thing ...
migraines suck. :sick: :mad:

coonlover
December 8th, 2004, 08:23 AM
My boyfriend gets migraines, he has tried many meds from his doctor and he says Furinol works the best for him. ( not sure if I spelled that right).

louie's mum
December 8th, 2004, 08:31 AM
My boyfriend gets migraines, he has tried many meds from his doctor and he says Furinol works the best for him. ( not sure if I spelled that right).

fiorinal - c 1/2 (with codeine) or without .... works but u have to be very careful. can cause vicious rebound headaches. also contains a barbituate, caffeine and aspirin.
new generic of this drug is called tecnal c 1/2 .. a lot cheaper

coonlover
December 8th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Ahhhhh thats why he gets so sleepy when he takes it :sick:

mona_b
December 8th, 2004, 08:58 AM
I have been getting migraines since I was 13.I'm a young 38 now... :D ..And I still get them.My 17 year old daughter has been getting them since she was14.My sister has them and my Mom also.With us it is hereditary.We get them from dear old Mom.I am now on Maxalt RPD 10 mgs.This stuff is amazing.Within 5 minutes the migrain is gone.Mind you it tastes like crap.It's like a small waffer that disolves on your tongue.I have my migreaines so bad that I ended up in the hospital with a shot of Demeral and Gravol to get rid of it.Not fun at all.With me,I can't eat chocolat,old cheese or drink red wine.

My daughter takes the Advil Migraine Gel caps.And it works great for her.

CarlaD
December 8th, 2004, 10:00 AM
I suffer from migraines and when they finally leave my body, I call the next day my fragile day. You don't feel well, you kinda have a headache left over, you are tired and just overly feel like crap.

I take advil gel extra strength (the new white ones) and a gravol of a headache. For a migraine I take maxflat ( I think that is how you spell it) and it is something new that I have started to try.

GsdDiamond
December 8th, 2004, 10:12 AM
it's a constriction/spasm of the vessels providing blood to the eye, so technically the pressure can go up causing the stars, but it's not technically high pressure) .... Normal temp is 98.7 F right? My temp was 95.6 F!!! I did it three times in 30 minutes, and all the times it was in the 95 range :eek: !

Ok, too high a pressure in the eye could explain the shooting lights and pain I have in behind my eyes most days. My eye doctor says my eyes are fine...nothing physically wrong with them, and my GP says my blood pressure is good, so it must be just an eye thing.

I also experience low body temperatures when I'm not feeling well. The worst time I can remember is when I was a teen. I was so sick my temperature didn't register on the thermometer. Now that's cold!

raingirl
December 8th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Ever had your thyroid tested? I'm having mine retested this week. I have read that although it can register normal on blood tests, it can still be low.

I heard that being cold, constantly hungry, fatigued, week, and low body temp are signs of hypothyroid.