Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy's Have Sensitive Stomachs?

jjgeonerd
December 7th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Does anyone know if puppy's stomachs are more sensitive than adult dog's? Gabby seems to get diarreha pretty easy, even though we feed her very, very little table food.

Heinz57
December 7th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Changes in diet for puppies (especially puppies) in my experience, leads to diarrhea. Adult dogs of course can get upset stomachs too, just that puppies seem more easily prone. If you're switching foods, you need to do it slowly, adding a little of the new brand to the one previously used. As for table foods, make sure you're only feeding healthy scraps. I would be very careful feeding a very young pup anything different. How old is your pup?

elfelda
December 7th, 2004, 11:38 AM
It might also be that Gabby is just a naturally sensitive dog. Since she is still young, make sure she is getting plenty of water when she has diarhhea, as puppies dehydrate easily.

jjgeonerd
December 7th, 2004, 11:45 AM
She is 8-9 months old...not positive because she is a rescue. We recently (~2 weeks ago) switched her from Nutro Max Puppy to Nutro Ultra Adult. We did it gradually and the new food actually seemed to help quite a bit. We rarely give her table food, but when we do it is usually something like a very small bit of chicken meat (plain...no sauce or spices). Lately we have been giving her small bites of apples (no seeds)...maybe this is the problem. I'm wondering if she got into something on a walk...she's reallsy fast about picking things up!

elfelda
December 7th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Fruit will often give dogs diarrhea.