Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Step 2 - Complete!

Writing4Fun
December 7th, 2004, 08:57 AM
I am now officially registered (Federally and Provincially) as a "sole proprietorship".

Right now, I'm concentrating on building my inventory (taking pictures of each item for my flyers, catalogue and web site). I also need to buy an engraving machine. I've been trying to do this on e-bay for a while now, but I keep getting outbid at the last possible second. Grrr! I hate those snipers! :mad: If anyone knows of a used New Hermes motorized pantograph engraver for sale, please let me know!

Anyhow, just wanted to share. :crazy:

raingirl
December 7th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Congrats. maybe I missed a post somewhere, but what business are you going into?

Writing4Fun
December 7th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Tks raingirl. I don't think I've actually mentioned here yet what I'm going to be doing. I'm a little superstitious and don't want to "jinx" it. :p Very high-level, I'm going to sell gift baskets and engraved items (ahh...but, what kind of gift baskets...that is the question ;) ). Once I'm up and running, I'll definitely let everyone know (you'll probably hear me from wherever you are in the province when I make my first sale :crazy: ).

OK, anyone out there in Ontario looking to start their own business ... I've found out a few things about trademarks, if you want to know. I'm also looking into liability insurance, so give me a couple of days, and I'll have some info on that as well. :D

Schwinn
December 7th, 2004, 02:42 PM
If anyone knows of a used New Hermes motorized pantograph engraver for sale, please let me know!

I would ask around for you, but I don't think I could repeat that. Would "engraver thingy" cover it?

Writing4Fun
December 7th, 2004, 07:51 PM
http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/072.gif As usual, Schwinn, you crack me right up! This is a pantograph engraver: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34083&item=3858646139&rd=1 They retail for over $2400CDN. :eek: I've been haunting e-bay for the past week, bidding on every one I've seen (the good ones are selling for upwards of $600USD), only to be hit by snipers in the auction's closing seconds. :evil:

glasslass
December 7th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Guilty! I love to snipe! :sorry: It's all in the timing! But, if your bid is higher to start with, sniping doesn't work.

Writing4Fun
December 8th, 2004, 07:41 AM
LOL! You're forgiven, glasslass, as long as you're not bidding on anything engraving-related! Actually, I've come to the conclusion that the only way to win one of these machines is to wait until the last minute, then place a rediculously high maximum bid and hope the snipers don't figure out what it is before the time runs out. I mean, even if the thing ends up going for $1000 (ouch!), it's still way lower than retail! Oh, sure, we all wait until the very end to place our highest bids. It's just when you're bidding on the thing all day long, going back and forth with one or two other bidders, and then BAM! out of nowhere with 3 seconds left comes this complete unknown who outbids you by a dollar!! :evil:

Writing4Fun
December 14th, 2004, 08:29 AM
I finally managed to outbid a sniper! I'm so excited. The model we won is newer than the one pictured earlier in this thread - and cost us considerably more as a result! :eek: But, it's ours now (just waiting for delivery from Illinois) and I'm tickled pink! Now I can move on with the rest of this business and maybe get myself up and running by January. Woo hoo! :crazy:

STAMPDesigns
December 14th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Congrats on winning the auction!!! I recently started a business with a friend of mine and we would also get outbid at the last minute. Congrats and can't wait to see what you make :)

wAggie
December 16th, 2004, 12:44 PM
congrats and all the best :)