Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how often do you buy new glasses?

moontamara
December 7th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Hmmm... my prescription hasn't changed, and I don't wear glasses all the time (mostly contacts), and I bought the glasses I have now about 3 and a half years ago. I find the frame needs to be readjusted as something is off kilter and the lenses are scratched, and I wouldn't mind going for a slightly different look. But is it normal to want new glasses so soon?

Writing4Fun
December 7th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Hey Tamara! Long time no hear (or write). :D Yes, it's perfectly normal to want new glasses so soon. Most insurance plans allow for new glasses every two years. After all, lenses and frames aren't indestructable.

Sneaky2006
December 7th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Yeah, you're going on 4 yrs... that's a long time for glasses, and who wouldn't want a change by now? :D

GunnerX
December 7th, 2004, 08:02 AM
If you have an insurance plan that pays for the glasses every two years, why not make use of it? I have $200 for glasses every 2 years which has already been put aside by the company so it doesn't make sense not to use it! :D I actually have $400 to use since my wife's plan also covers me. :D

moontamara
December 7th, 2004, 08:05 AM
No insurance for glasses here, but they are quite cheap in Korea (which now makes me wonder why I'm even asking this question!), less than $50 Canadian, including the frames (not cheapy frames either). If insurance will pay for them every 2 years, I guess that answers my question very well!

W4F, I was out of town and away from a computer, but I'm back now!

chico2
December 7th, 2004, 09:40 AM
I too change mine every two years,getting up there in age..I've had to admit I NEED them to function :sad: Hubbies insurance through work allows new glasses every two years,they cover $200,but usually the glasses are over $300,we pay the difference!

Schwinn
December 7th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Let me ask you this...how often do you buy a new purse, or shoes, or jacket if you're old one is still good? I've known people who have a couple of pairs to fit everything else they were wearing. Myself, I usually went at least 5 years. If they still work, than it's all a matter of personal style (or, thinking of my big thick plastic frames from the '80's, lack of style).

Then I got laser surgery. Now I'm in big trouble, because now when I want to get a better look, I'm stuck with my face! :p

Iggette
December 7th, 2004, 05:10 PM
I get mine from the dollar store......lol so I buy them all the time my script is a basic one so no need for me to pay 200.00 just to read. But I did fall in love with a pair that was like 320.00 had a magnatized attachment for the sunglasses piece really neat blue....*dreams*......maybe one day :p

moontamara
December 7th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Let me ask you this...how often do you buy a new purse, or shoes, or jacket if you're old one is still good? I've known people who have a couple of pairs to fit everything else they were wearing. Myself, I usually went at least 5 years. If they still work, than it's all a matter of personal style (or, thinking of my big thick plastic frames from the '80's, lack of style).

Then I got laser surgery. Now I'm in big trouble, because now when I want to get a better look, I'm stuck with my face! :p

Yeah, your point about purses and shoes would be well taken, except that I am not a shopper! I am an anomaly of my gender particularly when it comes to shoes. HATE shoe shopping!!! I only buy shoes when my old ones are NOT good, and even then I usually wait another 6 months! Purses? I bought an over the shoulder bag at E-mart (Korea's Walmart, basically except that they have Walmart too!) for the equivalent of $10 last year, but I probably won't be replacing that for awhile either!!!

I am thining about laser surgery. I used to like my glasses for a different look, but to be honest, they get in the way when my husband and I kiss and cuddle (I don't know why we can't learn to work around them!) and I just want to get rid of the altogether now!

Sneaky2006
December 7th, 2004, 10:08 PM
I know exactly what you mean about glasses getting in the way! I'm always saying, 'wait a minute' for me to take them off and isn't that a mood killer?!
I was thinking about laser surgery too, but I heard it doesn't last forever and I don't know how many times I want to have my eye cut open! I've seen it done on TV and it gives me the creeps... but to see clearly (I am nearsighted) without glasses on my face, or contacts drying to my eyes, seems like bliss! :p

CarlaD
December 8th, 2004, 11:03 AM
I hardly ever wear my glasses, I really just need them for the computer, but I forgot to put them on!

Even so, I will get new ones every two years because our insurance covers it.

Schwinn
December 8th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Yeah, your point about purses and shoes would be well taken, except that I am not a shopper! I am an anomaly of my gender particularly when it comes to shoes. HATE shoe shopping!!! I only buy shoes when my old ones are NOT good, and even then I usually wait another 6 months! Purses? I bought an over the shoulder bag at E-mart (Korea's Walmart, basically except that they have Walmart too!) for the equivalent of $10 last year, but I probably won't be replacing that for awhile either!!!

Nothing worse than wasting a good analogy! ;)

I only did the laser surgery because I had to to apply for the police force. I always wanted it, it just wasn't high on my list of priorities. That being said, I don't miss my glasses at all. As for it not lasting forever, yes and no. I have a life-time guarantee that if my eyes get worse, they'll do a "touch-up" for free. They did say, however, I WILL need reading glasses when I'm older. My thought was, I was already wearing glasses, so what's the big deal? The pain? I just felt like I had spent 6 or 7 hours mountain biking, and had grit in a contact lens. As for the procedure, my "problem" is that I have extremely good peripheral vision (almost 180 degrees), so I think I could see more than most people. My wife had it too, and she said she didn't see the knife or anything, but I did. But I didn't really feel it, though. It was actually quite easy. The next morning when I woke up, and I could see the clock...now THAT was cool!