Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Walks-How long can a 3 mth old pup go for?

Joelle
December 6th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Hi Everyone! :D

I've just become the proud new mom of a 3 month old Sheltie pup! He's REALLY cute and full of pep! I have doggy boots and a coat for him to protect him from the elements -he's still young and has only puppy fur! He's a very small dog of about 5lbs now. And I was just wondering, can I take him out for walks? Right now his "big" walks are going to the end of my street (approx. 200 meters!) I just don't want to over do it because he's so young and small. But how long of a walk can I take him for? And benchmark between age, size and walking distance?

Thanks!

Joelle

Sadie's Mom
December 6th, 2004, 11:30 PM
I would say that it really depends on each individual dog. You'll be able to tell when he's exhausted or too cold, just make sure to really tune into him.

From personal experience, when I first got my puppy she was 2 lbs, she could handle a walk of about 5 blocks, but she's always been super energetic, so I don't think there is a real benchmark in relation to age/size/distance.

But it would probably be better to under-do it than to over-do it, know what I mean? You don't want to exhaust such a young dog.

lil_kirk
December 7th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Well I wouldn't be taking any puppy for a walk in any areas where other dogs travel and eliminate without having this dog have all its shots....you wouldn't want your spunky sheltie to catch anything from another dog.