Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lab acting strangely

DLM
December 6th, 2004, 09:57 PM
My younger lab Max (male, 3 1/2, not purebread) has had anal gland secretions in the past, but I think this is something different. It started three days ago when he started walking low to the ground and looking sheepish. In the past, this meant he was going to vomit or had to go outside in a hurry. He did not vomit and he proceeded to poop immediately when we let him out; this happened twice that day. Thinking that this was the problem, we didn't think much of it. Yesterday, he did the same thing and when he came back inside he was stuck to me like glue, clinging to me and shaking periodically, but he settled down over a short period of time. He is urinating and pooping OK, from what I can see when I watch him, and he is eating and drinking normally. Tonight has been particularly bad, though, and for the entire evening he has been almost pacing around the room, unless we are motionless, tail down, sniffing close to the floor, shoulders down and somewhat restless (like he doesn't know what's wrong or what to do with himself). There is no foul smell, like in the past, so I don't think it is the anal gland thing. Also, he has had small spots of scabby areas that I felt on his chest for a few months and recently a large area in the armpit that was scabby at first and then looked like raw flesh (from constant licking off the scabs, I presume). That has subsided now, and has healed, but he has small red spots on his penis, some of which look irritated. I have no idea if these two things are related, but I'm starting to get very worried. He is definitely not his usual spunky self. Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks for your thoughts. DLMinONT

blueeyes3479
December 6th, 2004, 10:20 PM
I think youre right this does not sound like anal glands. I would get him in to the vet immediately.

elfelda
December 7th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Unfortunately Max is just not giving us the right clues to figure out what is bothering him - although he is clearly saying that something his wrong. It looks like going to the vet is your only option.

DLM
December 7th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Thanks for your reply Elfelda....he is definitely eating, drinking, urinating and pooping just fine. He wags his tail, although not as much as usual, and holds his tail up straight when sniffing in the yard and while eating. I'm going to give it another day and if he's no better, then to the vet we go!
Thanks again.