Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi, new member. Plus, re-assure me!!

Sadie's Mom
December 6th, 2004, 10:56 PM
I hope this is the right place to post this....just wanted to say hello! I'm Maria and my fur-baby's name is Sadie. She's a 6 month old Pomeranian/Manchester Terrier cross. She weighs 7 pounds (but don't tell her that!). If I set this up right, her dogster link should be somewhere on my profile. She's my first dog ever and I love her half to death. I've always been the HUGEST dog lover and it's a dream come true to own such an amazing little dog.

Anyways, I joined because you all seem to be so knowledgeable about everything canine (and feline!). :thumbs up

Sadie is being spayed on Thursday! I'm SO nervous. I hope everything will be ok, but I'm honestly a wreck already. I love my vet and totally trust her, so I'm just being irrational. Can anybody tell me what to expect? How long before she's back to normal? Any tips on keeping her quiet after her operation, she's VERY hyper normally.

She's also having a tattoo done at the same time, but her ears stand straight up and she has short fur, will it show? I guess they're comparable to a chihuahua's ears, any chi owners with tattoo experience?

Sorry I have so many questions!! I'm so excited to be here. :)

les
December 6th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Hi Maria :)

I just had my chocolate lab puppy Jersey spayed on November 26. She went in early in the morning and I picked her up in the late afternoon. I paid the extra money and had her laser spayed - I don't know if all vets offer that. They told me it was less painfull for her. (My other dog was done the regular way years ago)

When I picked Jersey up she was all dopey, tired and confused. All she did was sleep that evening and night .. I had to pick her up and carry her to the backyard to do her business before we went to bed!

The next day she was moving around a bit but still slower then usual. My vet said no walks for a few days - just take them out to do their stuff.

On Sunday I started taking her out for short walks (10-15 minutes as the vet has suggested) and I could tell by Sunday afternoon that she wanted to do more. I called the vet on Monday morning and she said it was fine to go for longer walks (20-30 minutes) on the leash and no running full out etc. They said not to keep her too cooped up. I just kept an eye on the stitches and I'd check them when we got back from the walks just to make sure they looked alright.

So thats what we've been doing this past week. A walk in the morning and a walk in the afternoon plus going out in the backyard through out the day. She goes back this week to get the stitches out ~ I'm as excited as she is to get back into the full walking and playing routine!

Sorry it's so long! :o

I don't know much about tatoos. My other dog had one - but she had it when I got her. She was part Australian Shepard part Collie and you couldn't see it unless you looked but her ears hung down.

Hope that helps a little bit! :)

Sadie's Mom
December 6th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Thanks Les! That was exactly what I was looking for, just spaying stories so I know what to expect....keep them coming people!!

My vet uses disintegrating stitches, so she won't need to have them taken out, that's kind of a relief for me. Sadie doesn't go on walks all the time, so I'm not worried about that, just her jumping around in general. But hopefully she'll stay quiet on her own like Jersey did.

Glad Jersey's doing alright, thanks for sharing Les!

CyberKitten
December 6th, 2004, 11:58 PM
Welcome to the Board!!

Here are some good sites about the surgery your girl will have:

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/spayneut.html
http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dogdiseasess/a/spaying_2.htm
http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/dneut.html

Please be advised the final one has very graphic multimedia material showing the surgery.

I am sure she'll be fine. This is extremely safe surgery! Good luck!!!

It is only natural to worry about your little one. I do the same thing!!

lil_kirk
December 7th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Yes your link works--very cute furbaby...you'll have to watch the little one with such a tiny puppy! Ouch! he he!

Good luck and enjoy!!! :crazy:

Sheriffmom
December 7th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Welcome Sadie's Mom. Hopefully you'll get as much out of this site as I have. There are truely some amazing ppl here, with great advice, good insight, and sometimes a shoulder to lean on!! :love:
Wher we had Sheriff neutered he acted like nothing had happened. We brought him home, and all he wanted to do was play, play, play!! It was a HUGE problem, as his stiches began to pull.... and he didn't seem to notice (or if he did he didn't care!!! :crazy: ) We ended up having to get him a mild sedative from the Vet, just so he would be calm and sleepy for a few days, so the stiches could at least start to heal!! (He was on them for 4days) If you know your doggie is a hyper sort, you may want to ask the Vet for a perscription while you are there, for a "just in case" situation. :)
Again, welcome!!! It's nice to have you here. :p

chico2
December 7th, 2004, 09:36 AM
SadiesMom,thank's for the site...first I thought all those animals were yours :crazy: but then I saw the light :rolleyes:
Your pup is adorable,she'll be ok,don't worry :thumbs up