Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My 3 year old dor has been vomiting pretty often...

xfreakystyleyxx
December 6th, 2004, 09:34 PM
My dog has been vomiting pretty often, more than 4 times a week. The weird (and gross) thing is that if I'm not there when it happens, he will eat his throw up after he's done. I don't know what to do because he is a big dog and he is pretty strong. He hates going to the vet more than anything and goes nuts when I take him. Also, if he's in the car for more than 10 minutes, he throws up everywhere. I dont know what to do!!

CyberKitten
December 6th, 2004, 09:49 PM
This question (tho it related to a 10 tr old kitty) came up on another thread and while there are obvious differences, can you sedate your dog to take him to the vet. Or call your vet and ask him/her what s/he thinks and then take him if it is advised.

It may be a hassle to take him to the vet but it will be worse if it is something serious. Would you go to an ER or call your doc if you were having the same symptoms? (assuming you knew you did not have a regular case of the flu and had not been imbibing plentifully the previous evening ;)

This is the other thread:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10149

blueeyes3479
December 6th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Another thing is this could be from eating his own feces and vomit. There are bacteria's that can be in them. I had this same issue with my dog, and the vet did not make me bring him in, he just gave me a prescription to give by mouth. I believe it was for 3 days worth. Which did clear everything up. But, you also need to make sure that the dog does not eat its own/another animals vomit or feces, this can be dangerous. I also have bought an over the counter med (liquid wormer by Hartz), I give to her about once a month. She seems to be pretty good when I do this.

Blueeyes3479

Karin
December 6th, 2004, 09:57 PM
My dog has been vomiting pretty often, more than 4 times a week. The weird (and gross) thing is that if I'm not there when it happens, he will eat his throw up after he's done. I don't know what to do because he is a big dog and he is pretty strong. He hates going to the vet more than anything and goes nuts when I take him. Also, if he's in the car for more than 10 minutes, he throws up everywhere. I dont know what to do!!

Times have changed and most vet's will not come to you...your only alternative is to take your dog to them...asap! Please do this now!

CyberKitten
December 6th, 2004, 10:04 PM
I realize many vets won;t do home visits but it may also depend on where you live. Here, my vet will do home visits in an emeregency situation or to visit pets of elderly folks. The vet tech also will administer meds for these people in their homes if they find it tough getting out in the winter -and there is no extra fee. And the vets at the cat clinic in a large city nearby also do home visits. (So many retired folks with animals)

Actually, I would think in Fla, with so many retirees (my own parents winter in the Clearwater area), I'd think some vetr would have a great biz doing home visits there. (even if they charged a bit extra) My parents live in a gated community and there are so many pets! (a few home visits would go over really well I'd think).

blueeyes3479
December 6th, 2004, 10:30 PM
My vet did not do a home visit for my dog. I gave the symptoms and he told me to come pick up a prescription from him for the dog. I did not have to bring the dog in for this though. Because, he said even if it is not a bacteria, the presciption will not harm her. But, if it were a bacteria than she should no longer be getting sick as she was.
But, if your vet will not do this, than yes bring the dog in and have him checked out.

mona_b
December 7th, 2004, 09:25 AM
As much as he hates going to the vets,he needs to go.You need to know why he is throwing up so much.Something is deffinately wrong.He needs to have some tests done to find out what's wrong.I know my vet would never prescribe me something over the phone without testing to see what's wrong.

blueeyes,I take it that you don't know that any over the counter de-wormer is crap.

Karin
December 7th, 2004, 05:33 PM
As much as he hates going to the vets,he needs to go.You need to know why he is throwing up so much.Something is deffinately wrong.He needs to have some tests done to find out what's wrong.I know my vet would never prescribe me something over the phone without testing to see what's wrong.

blueeyes,I take it that you don't know that any over the counter de-wormer is crap.

Mona is right..over the counter is crap! Besides.. using the otc stuff adds to the emergency visits for vets. You would not believe how many people put the Hartz flea control for dogs on a cat...this will poison them! It happens with other otc drugs too.

Frontline Plus 88-132 lb.. is safe enough to put on a Chihuahua. Same with Advantage.

As for vet's making house calls in Florida (or anywhere) these days...small animal vets are set up for just that...a clinic to service the small animals...it takes a great investment to start a new practice, rarely are funds available to make the same mobile. Same goes for most equine vet's, they are mobile, so many people want them to treat small animals while at a farm...they are not equipted. I have done many home visits but this is mostly euthanasia's...in the middle of the night.

Lucky Rescue
December 7th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Lots of people lately who don't take seriously ill pets to the vet because the pet doesn't like it....

So if you had a child who really hated the dentist/doctor, would you let his teeth rot out or his appendix burst? :confused: