Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cold weather

Freyja
December 6th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Hello all!!

It has been a while since I last posted. Just to refresh; I adopted Lindy from the Cochrane Humane Society http://www.cochranehumane.ca in July. She was rescued from the Reserve west of Calgary. She had never been in a house before and had no idea how to behave. Lindy and I are doing really well. She is so loving and has learned some manners! I found out that she is actually a Shepherd/Husky!
She now comes in the house, actually, just try and keep her out!! She sleeps in her kennel at night. She can be left in the house alone for about an hour otherwise she is outside or in the kennel.
I know that -15 is too cold to leave her outside for longer than 15 minutes but what about walks?? She still needs her exercise. I am all bundled in my snow pants, hat, mitts but what about her? How long of a walk can she tolerate at to what temperature?
I heard that there is something I can put on her paws to avoid them frosting up (not booties, some product).
Thanks,
Jane

Freyja
December 6th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Here is a pic of Lindy and me!! It is not so hot of me but really good of her!!
Pretty girl!!
Jane

CyberKitten
December 6th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Awww, you can buy her doggie boots to keep her feet warm and also so they do not get hurt from the ice and protruding icy rocks!

Sadie's Mom
December 6th, 2004, 11:01 PM
You can definitely see the husky in her. She should be ok for short walks in the cold weather. -15 isn't too bad. When it gets to the low -20's I'd start worrying. Even my little Pom X plays outside in the cold, so your big girl should be ok.

They do sell fleece doggy boots (I always worry about their poor little foot pads!), but not all dogs will tolerate.

Good luck with Lindy, LOVE her name btw! :)

ThaiGhing
December 6th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Hey there.... I have a 9 month old smooth hair chow chow that just adores the snow. He would stay out for hours on end. We had our first small snow today.. and he wanted to be out in it so bad. Thai is a real snow :angel: !

Uhm, recently I visited our Petsmart store... and inquired on something for Thai's paws so that they dont get irritated from the salt and snow,etc.
They recommended Excel Paw Wax Protector.

It helps protect and condition dog's paws all year round. Prevents paw damage from gravel, asphalt, ice, snow, salt-treated roads, hot pavement and all hard surfaces. Provides grip on slippery surfaces.

Directions: Rub paws on wax or apply thin layer to cover pads completely. Do not apply if paw has open cuts or wounds. Wipe paws before letting your pet back into the house. Not harmful if licked or ingested by your dogs.

I have been using it on Thai, as the pads on his feet were a little rough... and now they are very smooth. It works great, and he doesnt mind when i put it on (better than the boots we tried at the store, LOL).

It was not expensive. It was 9.99 for a 2 oz tin. Should last all winter. They do have a website its www.eightinonepet.com

Hope that helps. Good luck.
:crazy:

Freyja
December 6th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Thanks!!! That is great info! It's gonna be -18 tomorrow!!! and that is without the windchill.
The ex(with the truck!) was supposed to pick up an insulated dog house from Rona, but hasn't. Lindy has been staying outside when I am not home for longer periods. She can't be trusted inside for too long yet, but we are working on it. She had a shed with blankets, but it is not insulated. See the pic, it is in the background. I have strange work hours(I am a midwife) and sometimes I don't know when I will be back(max 12hours). 95% of the time it is not a problem. I am talking about once in a long while. Tomorrow I am in clinic. She will be in her kennel after a walk in the morning, I will come home at lunch and I will be home by 5:30. What I need to know is how long can she be left outside and at what temperature should I be really concerned if she had the insulated dog house. Also what do you do about fresh water?
Jane

maddoxies
December 6th, 2004, 11:23 PM
If you can rig a light bulb in the dog house, it is an amazing source of heat for them. Especially if the house is insulated.

My dad built a dog house for my sister's miniature poodle. It was insulated with fiberglass insulation, panelling inside, shingled roof, carpeted with underpading and a light bulb. The only things missing were satelite tv and airconditioning lol. (Not bad considering my dad was blind !!) (He got the dog house kit at the lumber yard, but that was just the basic frame. He added the shingles, insulation, panelling, etc himself.)

Remember to put a wind break in front of the door to the dog house.

Freyja
December 7th, 2004, 12:01 AM
The prefab dog house from Rona comes with vinyl strips that are supposed to act as a wind break. We all know how long those will last!!! I will have to rig up something else. Concerned that the wigglebutt will chew on a light.
J

Lucky Rescue
December 7th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Hi Freyja! Of course we remember you and little Lindy and were wondering how it was going.:) Nice to hear from you.

At those temps, she shouldn't be left outside very long. You can get her an insulated dog house called a "Dogloo" (http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?webt=0&sku=2969525872&dept_id=4295&tab=8&c1=4292&ct1=Cold+Weather+Store&c2=&ct2=&c3=&ct3=)

For the water, you can get an Electric water bowl (http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?webt=0&sku=2210211111&dept_id=4295&tab=8&c1=4292&ct1=Cold+Weather+Store&c2=&ct2=&c3=&ct3=)

And if it's raining, you can get her one of these! :D http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/7/7643922694C.jpg
J/K! :p

heeler's rock!
December 7th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Hi freyja! I have a dogloo that I don't use anymore if you're interested in it. PM me if you are. I'm in Calgary too! :)

sammiec
December 7th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Hi Freyja! I was just thinking about you!! I am so glad to hear that things have worked out for you and Lindy! That's wonderful news!! Thanks for coming back and giving us an update!

I am not sure about a spray product for her feet. I would be concerned that it would wash off or come off with the snow, ice and salt... I would feel more confident with the booties, that's just me... and you guys might have another hurdle... I don't know how she feels about having her feet touched! ;)

Hope you're albe to stick around a little more... and more pictures!! ;)

Off topic: I see there are new emoticons!! :yuck:

mastifflover
December 7th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Freyja forget the stuff at the petstore KY Jelly is great for protecting their paws and it just wipes off because it is water soluble and much cheaper than the stuff you can buy at the pet stores

Cinnabear
December 7th, 2004, 12:59 PM
@Mastifflover

How does KY works on their paws? Does it stop from snow getting in between their paws?

mastifflover
December 7th, 2004, 01:02 PM
just rub it into their paws and it keeps them salt free

Freyja
December 7th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Thanks everyone for the info.

We survived today!! Three babies!! and a very full clinic!!! I managed to get home at lunch and walk the wigglebutt. I gave her a marrow bone at lunch and she was fine when I got home. We had a longish walk tonight and she is now sprawled out on my son's bed. It is supposed to warm up by Thursday!! And it was only -18 today don't want to think about those -30 January days!!! Gotta get the girl better behaved in the house and install a dog door!!!!

Any opinions welcome:

Dogloo vs insulated wood dog house

Exausted midwife!!

glasslass
December 7th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Welcome back Freyja! I've wondered about you and Lindy too! Your's was a real success story! :thumbs up

A miniature poodle in a doghouse? :eek: I can't imagine Den-Den sleeping outside! And this is California!