Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Daily vomiting - getting noticeably worse

alorri
December 6th, 2004, 03:56 PM
My 10 year old cat has had stomach problems for several years now. She would vomit in a couple times a week, then it became daily. She showed no other signs of illness. In the last week or two, she has got noticeable worse. Now she seems to vomit everytime she eats or drinks anything - even water. Most of what she brings up is bile - but it is rank smelling.

I am hesitant to take her to the vet due to the fact that she is terrified of any stranger and will lash out, especially if she feels cornered. The only way the vet would be able to handle her is to sedate her while still in the carrier. And my vet agrees with me that this could be a bad idea. Between the stress of strangers and the sedation, she has a good chance of not waking up again.

I have tried numerous different brands of cat food, as well as regular food. Nothing seems to make a difference although she seems to keep tuna down the best. Aside from that problem, she is her normal self - and she looks and acts healthy still.

elfelda
December 6th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Often tuna is the last thing that a very sick cat will eat. Cats are very good at hiding illness (they often don't "act sick") but the clues are there if she is not eating well. You can track her hydration by lightly pinching and twisting an area of loose skin - if it does not fall back into place in less than a second she may be dehydrated, and need to go to the vet's immediately. As long as she is well hydrated (tuna water can help with this), there is probably no immediate danger to her health. As for the vomitting, it could be something as serious as a tumour (which would obviously require a vet visit) or as common as chronic hairballs. You may not notice hair in her vomit, but there may be a wad stuck in her digestive system somewhere, causing all the upset. I would recommend trying something like Tonic-Lax (most cats like the flavor). You can buy it at the vet but might not need to bring the cat in. It might help her pass whatever is blocking her tract.

glasslass
December 6th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Am I understanding correctly that you have discussed this with your vet already and he thinks its a bad idea to take her in? What has he suggested for you to do? :confused: It's hard to imagine he is ok with leaving things as they are. You may want to contact another vet.

CyberKitten
December 6th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Could the vet not see her at a time when his/her office is quiet and your cat would be less stressed? Or is the very act of getting in the carrier stressful for her? Could the vet possibly see her at home?

It seems this kitty really should see a vet! (and perhaps you can work something out with that clinic) or find one that will be more accomodating.

BMDLuver
December 6th, 2004, 04:31 PM
I would strongly recommend she see a vet. If she keeps on this way, you will not have a cat to care for regardless. Please take her as it seems she is in dire need of help and her life can't be much of a picnic throwing up all the time. :sad:

elfelda
December 6th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Did the vet agree that your cat should not come in, or just that she shouldn't be sedated? Many people think that their animals are more stressed/poorly behaved than they actually are. Remember that veterinarians are used to dealing with unhappy cats. They have quiet rooms, and leather gloves...

mona_b
December 6th, 2004, 06:19 PM
I have to agree with the others,she needs to see the vet.She could have some sort of blockage.And if she is vomiting even with water,then she could dehydrate which could be dangerous.

Lucky Rescue
December 6th, 2004, 06:39 PM
This cat is sick and suffering and has been for a long time. For YEARS. And no vet that is remotely reputable would tell you to just let her continue to suffer.

Just because she doesn't like to go to the vet is not reason not to take her. It's for her own good and it's your duty to do so.

I take FERAL cats to the vet and you better believe they don't like it. But what is the alternative? My cats will never suffer with no medical care or help simply because they prefer not to go.

alorri
December 6th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Perhaps I was not completely clear. I have had this cat for 10 years, bottle-raised her from a two week old kitten, abandoned by the mother. I agree that with most cats you cannot tell if they are suffering or not, but with this particular cat it is very easy. Any slight illness and her eyes betray it - they get dull and cloudy. She is not suffering other than the discomfort of vomiting.

She is terrified of strangers to an extreme degree. There are only three people who can handle her at all - to them she is very affectionate. If anyone else enters the room, she grows visibly upset and should they approach her, usually they end up with some pretty serious scratches.

I have spoken with several vets about her and they all tend to agree that sedation at this point would likely result in death. Past experiences of taking her to the vet show just how stressful it is for her. After coming home, she will show signs of extreme stress for up to two weeks. She barely eats and shies away from any touch at all.

The vets I consulted have recommended that as long as she seems comfortable, and is happy and active, that it would likely be best to let her be. And if she shows any signs of suffering to bring her in. Given her age and her past history, they do not believe that she would do well with sedation and the obvious stress of strange people and places - chances are high she would not survive.

I had not thought of an internal hairball blockage and will definitely see if I can try something for that. I appreciate the suggestion.

Lucky Rescue
December 6th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Now she seems to vomit everytime she eats or drinks anything - even water. Most of what she brings up is bile - but it is rank smelling.

These symptoms are not compatible with "comfortable" or "happy". If you (or I) were vomiting "rank smelling" substances every time we ingested something I'm sure it would result in a doctor visit.

This cat could have cancer or another serious or fatal illness and may be suffering in the extreme - even if you think she isn't - and at the very least constant vomiting and resulting dehydration is NOT comfortable. Cats go to great lengths to hide their disabilities or illness as that is instinct.

You can have a vet come to your home. If you have ever seen a feral cat in a trap, you would know what "terrified" is, yet I've never seen one die from fright or stress from their ordeals. Their terror is off the scale yet should we leave them suffer rather than scare them?

CyberKitten
December 6th, 2004, 09:26 PM
I am sure you know your cat really well but my own medical experience tells me vomiting that much and that frequently is very serious in a child and I believe the same is true for cats. Think about a disease like panleukopenia - in which a kitten may seem fine or just a bit lethargic and be close to death the next!!!

And if she IS vomting that much and that often, you should really consider pedialyte to keep her hydrated.

That said, she really needs to see a vet and soon!! There are always cats that hate visits to the vet. I have many pediatric patients who utterly despair thinking of spinal taps for bone marrow tests BUT even a very young child with cancer understands s/he needs to have it. (and we sedate them). If this cat were your child -and to many of us, these ARE our furbabies and important family members - surely you would take her to a doctor, fear or not.

blueeyes3479
December 6th, 2004, 10:19 PM
I would ask if maybe one of the vets would do an in home visit to your cat. Maybe she would be a little more comfortable with this situation.

louie's mum
December 6th, 2004, 10:43 PM
what a sad sad situation. i hope u find a way to get a vet involved.
i think if it were me, i would take the chance on a mild sedative (or stronger) to get to the bottom of this. it sure sounds like a blockage of some kind to me which has had to result in ur cat being undernourished especially now that she's not even able to take water. i believe there must be discomfort if not in the tummy certainly in the throat and mouth from the vile substance. that's not right.
as a new mum to a furbaby, if i hear him sneeze or look tired i worry. but that's just me :rolleyes:

CyberKitten
December 6th, 2004, 11:21 PM
I've been reading the other comments and I sooo concur with Lucky. Vomiting daily does not sound like a happy cat. Would you be happy if it were you? And cats are so god at hiding how they feel (their instinct is to hide pain or illness) so if she is vomiting, she is telling you something!!

I am like L's mom. Even though I know medically that it is probably nothing, I would prefer to err on the side of caution. This is my baby's life and in my case at least, kittens are like toddlers and depend on us. Your baby - even though she is 10 - still needs you to get her to the vet and quickly!!

Fortunately, Yin Yin thus far does not mind visiting the vet at all. If anything, while it's stressful, she gets attention. But even if she hated it and I heard the loudest possible Siamese youwls from her carrier, with those symptoms, she'd have seen the vet immediately!!!

You could sedate her with coculine (and herb with no side effects), rescue remedy (a similar and better known herb in North America) or even diazepam or some benzodiazepine. (I read recently that diazepam adversely affects a very small number of cats) but oxazepam (Serax) has virtually none. Or ask your vet what s/he recommends for sedation.

But please take her to the vet!

raingirl
December 7th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Is this the same cat that is preventing the others from using the litterbox?

Or is this a cat that is being prevented from using the litterbox?

alorri
December 7th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Is this the same cat that is preventing the others from using the litterbox?

Or is this a cat that is being prevented from using the litterbox?

Neither. The bad attitude cat leaves this one alone. She never messes with her and will always defer to her - unless there is food involved. Not much gets between that one and her food dish.