Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat with a bad attitude

alorri
December 6th, 2004, 04:28 PM
I have a cat that is determined to prevent my other cats from using the litter box. She will wait by the box and ambush any cat who comes near. As well, she will chase one cat off completely. We put a second litter box upstairs to try to stop the problem, but she manages to guard both boxes. Any suggestions?

GsdDiamond
December 6th, 2004, 04:33 PM
How many cats? You should ALWAYS have one litter box for each cat, plus one or two more as their emergency backups.

chico2
December 6th, 2004, 04:35 PM
This is one I've never heard before,it's kind of funny when I picture it in my mind :D but I guess not for you...all I can suggest is to get a third box,she would have a lot of trouble guarding three :crazy:
Cats certainly have their quirks,don't they....

GsdDiamond
December 6th, 2004, 04:36 PM
It does sound funny doesn't it? "MY potty box! MINE MINE MINE!" :evil:

elfelda
December 6th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Cats actually determine dominance by who gets to pee where. So your kitty is probably asserting herself as head of the household by not letting anyone else "go". I agree with GsdDiamond, the rule I've heard for litterboxes is (# of cats) + 1. Surely she can't block more than 2. Make sure they're far apart. Another trick I've heard is to have some litter boxes that are covered, and some that are not. Most cats prefer one or the other, and it may result in her only guarding her "favorite" litter boxes.

chico2
December 6th, 2004, 04:43 PM
My youngest cat never fails me,every morning when I go downstairs to"do"the boxes,he'll be right around the corner waiting,then he'll go in and drop a big smelly one... :D
I have 3 cats,but only two boxes,mind you,they are big Rubber-Maid storage boxes,the greatest buy I ever did,they have high sides and keeps the litter in the boxes...

CyberKitten
December 6th, 2004, 04:47 PM
I don't want to duplicate but yep, get another box or several and one that is different. If each cat has his or her own box, maybe that'll solve the problem. Cats!!! <g>

twinmommy
December 6th, 2004, 09:50 PM
LOLOL Chico!! It's soo true!! Not only that, but Sam has me well-trained!!Right after his big smelly one, guess who goes and cleans that one too.!! I'm telling you--CATS HAVE STAFF!!!

good idea about the Rubbermaid bins though!!!

CyberKitten
December 6th, 2004, 10:06 PM
I have rubbermaid bins. I bought one years ago because it looked like it would be a great litter pan and then someone recommended it. Too late, I was already happy with it!!

Thus far, Yin Yin does not decided she has to go immediately after I clean out the "box". She does like to investigate and supervise though! That said she has me well trained in other areas of importance - perhaps they are in her order of prioirity. Finding toys SHE has managed to loose (usually in some remote corner that requires mega work to get to), ensuring she has the proper flavour of food -Wellness lobster preferred or the real thing if there are no tins available s'il vous plait, and ensuring there is room for her in (ahem) her computer chair!). Fancy Feast salmon will do in a pinch, lol And this is my fauly but she much prefers bottled water. (I gave her Evian initially but she'll have to cope with President's Choice because it was on special last week). Plus it is ozonated and better imho!

I just read tonight that cats like fizzy water so I wonder if Perrier would be good for her? Anyone ever try that?

twinmommy
December 6th, 2004, 10:32 PM
I should try Perrier with our Sam, as his latest claim to fame was making off with a little more than 1/2 of an extra large pizza!!!! we had left in on the counter....and you know the rest!! We found our culprit's discards in the basement--it seems he is not a "crust Person" LOLOL ;)

louie's mum
December 6th, 2004, 10:56 PM
louie 'supervises' the cleaning of his litter box too. it never seems to fail, he goes in right after (before i can get the dome back on) and bam .... that's when i call him stinkerbell ... well also when he lets one rip ;) this cat can clear a room.
twinmommy ... that's hillarious, doesn't like crust ... if the pizza delivery guy comes unexpectedly u'll know who called :D

CyberKitten
December 6th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Love the pizza story. If you have the pizza guy on speed dial, it might be wise to change that. ;)

krdahmer
December 7th, 2004, 01:02 AM
too funny you guys....
I have a poop stalker too.... Windy likes to 'supervise' all deposits in HER bathroom. And ya, cleaning it is a ball...we have to work fast, it seems like as soon as we start cleaning them out and washing them... all 4 suddenly have to go. One time Chase put the lid down on the ground and one went and peed under it....SANS litter!!!! Yick!

I have 4, but due to space constraints we only have 3 boxes now...two big ones and a medium size, so far no problems and I clean it every day.
I got my latest litter box from Petsmart...and man is it cool (mind you I spent like 30 bucks on it), it is shaped like an igloo and has a kitty size staircase/hallway inside that traps all the litter on the way out! And I'm telling you I actually went a whole day without vacuuming today!!! WOOHOO!

Iggette
December 7th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Wholy crap......lol....I have 7 cats one stray......so let me see.......that should be 9 kitty litter boxes :eek: Nope Nope Nope......not cleaning that many.....lol.... I have one on the porch .....one in the basement......and 2 upstairs.....and I swear I am so tired of poop its not funny :p ....scooping in the morning, scoopin in the evening, :p scoopin when it smells , picking up poop at 3:30 am from the dog cause hubby fed them human food late at night while mommy sleeps ( he can't deny it this time, the plate was on the floor he forgot to pick up the evidence again) :mad: And then there is outside....in the yard and in the loft...... "I HATE POOP" Good thing I don't have a weak tummy.....which is hubby's excuse for never having to do it of course.
Heck who needs a full time job......."I SCOOP POOP FOR A LIVING".......lol :rolleyes:

Ahem......*clears throat* about the litter guarding.....yes I have issues with that as well.....trying to find a good spot is hard in this house unless I actually put a box in the kitchen or living room....... sometimes if the cat isn't guarding them it's the dog......although I don't think it is the litter she is guarding......just lays at the bottom of the stairs so the cats can't get by :rolleyes:

I hope you have better luck than I .....
For now I have a good rug cleaner ......surprisingly enough people are shocked when I say how many animals we have, they always say...."gee can't smell them!".......are they supposed to? :eek:

chico2
December 7th, 2004, 08:58 AM
That is funny Iggy,I can just imagine all the poop you have to scoop :yuck:
It really does not bother me,but then again kitty-poop is like Shake n' Bake,dogs a little different!!
Hubby and I each have our own TV's,he's impossible to watch TV with,to save our marriage we decided to watch in different rooms....anyway,last night he informed me Vinnie had thrown up on the carpet(strange how they always find a carpet to chuck up on!!)and asked me to clean it...Hubbie won't go near litter-boxes or throw-ups....I keep telling him to practise,I might not be around forever,but he says he'll hire a litterbox-maid :D

Writing4Fun
December 7th, 2004, 10:07 AM
(strange how they always find a carpet to chuck up on!!)
Yeah! Why is that?! Pretty annoying, since we have very few carpets in our house, but they always manage to find the runners when it's time to spew. :yuck: And what is it with men and their aversion to litter? Hubby will change a smelly baby diaper if I pester him to, but he will never in his lifetime touch a litter box (which is way better than a diaper, since it's all neatly compacted in scoopable bundles). :confused:

krdahmer
December 7th, 2004, 03:18 PM
LOL...I'm the litter avoider here.... I scoop during the week but only cause Hubby isn't around! On the weekends he does all the cleanin! Asthma does come in handy sometimes! Gets me outta the total cleaning and changing of the boxes on the weekend!!! :queen: And I also get el-cheapo (hubby) to buy better litter....for my 'health'!

And ya what is up with the up-chuck!!!??? I had the girls so well trained, Windy would actually barf them up in the bathtub...then we moved! :mad: Now it's always on the carpet....and always where I have to move furniture to clean it! :rolleyes: