Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pup with a lg sore on privates

Sheriffmom
December 6th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Hi guys,
First let me start this by saying HE HAS SEEN A VET. I just wanted all your opinions. I really really like our Vet, but I like to get opinions from everyone, just for my own research.....
We noticed a small, red dot on SHeriff's incision (neuter incision, right behind the penis shaft). We treated it with antibiotics, as it looked the same as his "pimples" (he's an English Bulldog) (this was as per phone instructions by the Vet). After a few days it became kind of hard, and larger. It can be touched without him freaking out, so I don't think it is overly painful. It is about the size of a peanut M&M, round, red, and hard. Vet says it is an uncommon side effect of neutering, the internal stiches don't desolve properly, and irritate the surrounding tissue, causing a ball of infection/scar tissue. He says they can surgically remove it, but doesn't recommend it unless the dog is in obvious discomfort. He told us to keep putting the ointment on, and continue to monitor it. He said it should "pop" at some point, then we need to keep the area super clean.
Any comments/suggestions/ideas/ancedotes??? :)

Bugsy
December 6th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Vet's info seems sound to me. :thumbs up

I'd go with Polysporin and warm compresses... to speed up the "popping". If it's scar tissue... i'd leave it alone.

Ohh.. and of course a kiss on the head for the "boo-boo" :D

elfelda
December 6th, 2004, 01:57 PM
When I worked at a vet's office this was probably the number 1 complaint after any surgery requiring stitches. It is simply irritation due to the stitches and not necessarily indicative of infection, although the area may be more susceptible to infection. Unless you notice any oozing or increasing inflammation of the surrounding tissue, these little bubbles will generally clear up on their own, often receding without bursting at all.

raingirl
December 6th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Do other animals get Keloid scars? That could be it. It could be it but the vet didn't use that term. Just google the term keloid scar and there's tons of info on the net.

I have a small one at the base of my navel peircing. Keloids are build ups of collagen tissue at an injury site. I also have a small one near where I had a large mole removed.

Mine can get infected a little sometimes. They get raw and itchy and sometimes act like a pimple (pus filled). Nothing I can do but keep the area dry and clean.

It also could be a hernia?? Sounds more like a keloid though.

Lucky Rescue
December 6th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Welcome to the board elfelda!

I'm sure your knowledgeable input will be very appreciated here.:)

elfelda
December 6th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Thanks, LuckyRescue :)