Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Blacking out/Chronic Rhinitis

fremar
December 5th, 2004, 07:30 PM
My dog Sadie is 5 years old last year was diagonised by 2 vets who both said she has Rhinitis she was X-rayed and given a CBC blood test the only thing the vets found was a high bacteria count due to her mucous nose so they put her on Cephalexin for a month 500mg twice a day. This seemed to clear up her mucous quite a bit but she still sneezes so she is not cured as far as I am concerned. Now what is happening with her we take her to a dog park and of course she loves to run this has happened to her twice when she runs a long distance over 1/4th of a mile she seems to either faint or pass out for a short time, Sadie stretches her neck out as if to get air lays on the ground for around what seems like a minute or two then gets up on her own and is back to her normal self I then, of course, leash her and walk her for a time she has all of her strength back and wants to run more. I have no idea what is really wrong with Sadie. Can anyone give me some kind of answer? This is a very scary site to see your dog laying on the ground. Please help if you can.

Bugsy
December 5th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Please bring your dog to the vet. Passing out from a lack of oxygen is a medical emergency.

raingirl
December 5th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Obviously it could be totally different in dogs (so see your vet) but I have rhinitis, and my rhinitis is chronic. It is because of allergies. There is no way i could eliminate all my allergies (face it..dust mites are hard to avoid) so I take medication daily, and probably will for as long as I want to stop the rhinitis symptoms. I take a costocosteroid (spelling??) for it. If I forget one day, my nose swells up and I have trouble breathing out of it.

I'm not sure if you ever searched anythhing about rhinitis, but go to google and type it in. It is basically little pus filled allergic polyps in the nasal cavity that are swollen and produce mucous.

It's possible your dog could be allergic to something that is causing it (food or maybe a seasonal allergy). Or it could be an irritant causing it (perfume, cleaners, smoking).

You need to find the cause before you can cure it.

I hope this helps. Having rhinitis sucks. Right now I'm due for my meds (which is a nasal spray) and I'm already starting to feel tight in my nose.

elfelda
December 6th, 2004, 01:50 PM
It does sound likely that your dog may have recurring rhinitis due to allergies. The liquid in the nose and sinuses will make him more susceptible to bacterial infections. Treating with antibiotics will clear up the bacterial infection but not cure the underlying rhinitis. Obviously if your dog is having so much difficulty breathing that he is faint from lack of oxygen, the rhinitis needs to be controlled! Please see your vet or get a 2nd opinion. It may be as simple as Benadryl.

fremar
December 6th, 2004, 03:16 PM
thanks to all who replied to my questions. I have searched on the internet as soon as I found out it was chronic rhinitis doesn't really help too much I am just more educated about rhinitis, and agree it is some type of allergy. the antibitocs seem to help a lot it is this blacking out that now concerns me Thank God this has only happened twice. I do have Benedryl at home the correct kind I researched that before I bought it. I will ask the vet about her taking that also.

elfelda
December 6th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Another thing I thought of, is Sadie actually blacking out, or does she just lay down for a short while? She may actually just get tired after running around and need to rest a bit. This is especially likely if she is battling a bacterial infection, as it's a huge drain on her body's energy reserves, and she may find herself getting very, suddenly tired when playing. My dog frequently flops down in the middle of play to catch her breath - and in no time she's up and running again. If Sadie doesn't normally do this you may both be surprised by the sudden loss of energy, but it could be related to the rhinitis. When I had a serious sinus infection I was told not to go to the gym for 3 weeks. I would feel tired after just standing up and walking to the fridge. If this were the case, then she should not have this behaviour if the infection is completely cleared up.

fremar
December 7th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the input you are exactly correct. I was not near her when she did this our friends where. Sadie is whistle trained and when she sees her "friends" they blow the whistle and she RUNS to them. We have always played this game with Sadie. Like I said it was a long run and she just seemed to lay on her side but not for long this time once she caught her breath or came to she was just as whacky as ever. But her eyes looked a little glazed they said, The first time she did this was around 3 weeks ago and again I did not see her she was running to me and when she didn't come I went to check and she was down that day took a few years off my life. What I am wondering if it is a side effect of the Cephalexin? I did not even want to start her on this med. I didn't like what I was reading about it from the vet, but he talked me into it.Saying "don't believe all you read etc"". I also see on here that vets sometime give answers how is this done? She has already been to two vets and both are saying the same thing..Chronic Rhinitis..this is one of the best boards I have been to..

elfelda
December 7th, 2004, 09:50 AM
From what I have read, this is not a side effect of Cephalexin. Cephalexin is a very commonly used antibiotic in both people and animals, and reactions are rare. I would still say that it is most likely an effect of the infection itself, and Sadie should feel more energetic once the infection clears up.

There is a very slight chance that Sadie has developed an allergic reaction to the Cephalexin. It is rare, but occasionally an allergic reaction will occur after a few days of being on a medication (usually an allergic reaction is immediate). I have heard of this "slow" allergic reaction presenting with lethargy, fever, loss of appetite, joint swelling. If you suspect this is the case, you should certainly contact your veterinarian and ask about switching antibiotics, but you should NOT remove Sadie from the antibiotic without discussing with the veterinarian. Halting the course of antibiotics part-way could result in her infection becoming resistant, even if it appears to be resolved, and could make it even more difficult to treat.

fremar
December 7th, 2004, 10:03 AM
I appreciate your input on Sadie, she still has 7 more pills to take and I will continue to finish the Cephalexin. It's good to have a board where people take a interest in trying to help worried owners. she has none of the allergic reactions you speak of. It's great to talk to humans who have the same sinus problems as you know our "friends" can't talk and this is what makes it tough to deal with.

elfelda
December 7th, 2004, 11:51 AM
I think it's a good idea to finish the Cephalexin. I hope that Sadie feels better soon!