Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

where to buy reptiles

pug lover
December 4th, 2004, 03:17 PM
i was wondering where i can purcahse a geko in Ottwa without supporting puppy mills at the same time. I would like to get one for my son for x-mas but dont know where to turn to. petsmart or super pet good?? and if I do get one is there a vet in the Ottawa area who does reptiles anymore. Carling animal hospital used to accept reptiles however they do not anymore

Just want to cover all the basis before purchasing a new for christmas and yes i do know that lizzards can live in captivity for up to 20 years and i am willing on making that commitment

HELP

Lucky Rescue
December 4th, 2004, 07:06 PM
There are people in On who breed reptiles, geckos included.

At the very least, you'll know they are captive bred and not taken from the wild, and should be healthier than pet store animals.

Site here (http://www.hqreptiles.com/index.html)

I don't know much about reptile breeders and have no idea if these people are reputable, but you can inquire.

DogueLover
December 4th, 2004, 08:52 PM
My sister operates a reptile zoo here in Leader, with huge exotic snakes(pythons, boas etc)
She and her hubby know a lot of reptile breeders all over canada and they use ssnakess.com and kingsnake.ca to sell and find exotics.
Geckos from breeders are better than pet shop ones as they are normally captive raised and don`t have the health issues ( parasites etc) that wild caught ones do.
One suggestion, ask a reptile breeder or other reptile owners what you need to set them up and feed them ( PET SHOPS WILL ROB YOU BLIND if they know you don`t have a clue what you need)
You can check out those two sites, the breeders on there are all very reputable and recommended by my sister and her husband.
Good luck. :thumbs up