Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Christmas is a comin`

DogueLover
December 4th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Just wondering.......... how is everyone doing on their Christmas preparations?
I LOVE Christmas!! Just a bid kid at heart here.

I am going to finish my baking sometime this week. Then just 3 more gifts to buy and wrap and I am done! Thank goodness. Don`t know about the rest of you but have you noticed how the closer it gets to Christmas, the more TROLLS you find in the malls? I swear if people would just learn to understand the real meaning of Christmas( and not just the religious reasons but learning to enjoy precious time spent with family) and stopped getting so wrapped up in the material crap, Christmas would be a much happier time.

Just a thought here but if anyone would like to swap Christmas recipies, and Traditions, gift ideas, etc............ maybe we could do it here...........if that is allowed??

Best of the season all............... smile at those trolls in the mall THEY HATE IT! ;)

chico2
December 4th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Sweet picture!!!He looks like he saying"Whasss up with the tree in the house??"

glasslass
December 4th, 2004, 09:40 AM
I think he's checking if the coast is clear before he lifts his leg and tries it out! What a great idea Mom! Indoor plumbing! :D

raingirl
December 5th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Hrm...I'm so bad this year with christmas!!

I have no cash and my visa is maxed. I'm literally in negative dollars as we speak! and I only have one gift purchased! At least I don't need to have gifts for my parents and sisters who live in another city until after new years, as we can't meet up until then. (I'm dreading this, but I might actually have to use that emergency line of credit!! ack!)

Most of my decorating is done, and I did baking today (thank goodness for my large storage of baking supplies!!)

I think everyone is getting "brownie mix in a jar" this year for christmas!! along with some home made marshmallows!

Oh! One of my christmas traditions is that we aren't allowed to open any presents until we eat breakfast. At least, that's how it used to be. The last two years we did christmas at the future in-laws, and they open presents on christmas eve, after midnight (which bugs the heck out of me..but what can you do?? If you open them thenight before, what do you have to do christmas day!!!!)

And we also eat chinese food on christmas eve.

glasslass
December 5th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Be grateful for in-laws who celebrate on Christmas Eve. Mine do too and it sure made it simpler over the years to decide which family to celebrate with. We'd go to my inlaws on Christmas Eve. Then, we have our own little tradition of opening our stockings (we fill each others - no kids) first thing in the morning. Then we'd head over to my parents' home late morning to open gifts and help prepare Christmas dinner which we eat around 2 p.m. Their neighbors also come. Our dads are gone now so we're more involved in helping prepare the meals at each location. Thanksgiving has always been my day. Easier to have everyone here than choose where to go.

CyberKitten
December 5th, 2004, 08:19 PM
I come from a family that was never big on Christmas (half Jewish, half Catholic might be one reason, lol). But my mom worked ft so we used to go to Fla to get away from all the craziness at holiday season. So, I have nothing done and plan to attend a wedding just before Christmas. I have gifts for people though but I find it way too commercial,sigh!! (Like the simplest home made gifts - like your brownies - the best!!!) A friend and I always give each pther a subscription to our fav magaines - one of my fav things, lol

I am not Scrooge by any means - like to go to the tree lighting at the Chilfdrens' hospital - amd I have often worked at the ER Christmas - and that has actually been great!! I also spent one Christmas working in a shelter for the homeless and "soup kitchen" (hate the term) and that was also a great experience.

I think the Christmas season often creates so many high expectations and people spend money they do not have. That said, it's a great excuse to get my favoutite Siamese kitten some wonderful gifts! (Don't tell her but she is getting Panic Mouse, lol)

glasslass
December 5th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Raingirl, no one should go into debt for Christmas! That's what the merchants would love you to do but it's not what Christmas should be. Your family will understand if you tell them you need to keep it simple!

Something that's fun to give are popcorn cakes. Melt marshmellows and caramel candies together. Mix with popcorn (popped of course), red & green M&M's, and peanuts. Kind of like making popcorn balls! Press into a buttered bundt or angel food pan. When cooled, run a spatula around the sides and turn out of the pan. Wrap in cellophane and put a bow on it.

Personally, I'd love homemade Christmas cookies. Anybody who works doesn't have a lot of time for baking cookies and they're nice to receive.

Have pinecones? Put peanut butter into all the little crevises (don't know what to call them). Then sprinkle heavily with wild bird seeds. Attach a ribbon for hanging outside for the birds to enjoy. Be creative! It's the spirit of the season that's important, not what you give or receive.

Once my hubby's grandmother covered wire clothes hangers with yarn. They're great for blouses that keep slipping off the hangers!

People who love and care for you don't want you to go into debt! Trust me on this one! The holidays shouldn't be a burden on anyone. When I opened the advertisements in this mornings paper, I discovered I'm supposed to be giving diamond Jewelry to my loved ones. Hah! It's time to stop this nonsense!

DogueLover
December 5th, 2004, 09:30 PM
I agree on the not going into debt at Christmas time idea, I`ve heard that some people are paying for the elaborate gifts they gave at Christmas the following year YIKES!
I have some really easy recipies and some great gift ideas for people that don`t cost a fortune and are soooo appreciated.
If you volunteer at any functions that involve kids I have a terrific recipe for Reindeer Cookies and Pretzel wreaths that are always a hit and fun and easy to make and they are also pretty cheap to make.

I always have a Christmas Cookie Trade around the second week in December with around 8 friends who are all working. The best thing about this is that you only have to bake one thing and only as many dozen as the number of people in the trade. The next best thing is the trading.......You have only baked say 8 dozen cookies of one kind and you get to go home with 7 dozen different kinds of Christmas goodies.
The girls I do the trade with look forward to it every year.

If anyone would like some of the easy recipies or pictures of some of those reindeer cookies and how to make them just pm me or leave a post here and I will be more than happy to pass them along. :thumbs up

Hound_Dog
December 6th, 2004, 12:53 AM
This year for Christmas, the four foreign (meaning non-Korean) teachers are going to have Christmas breakfast. Bacon, Eggs, French toast, pancakes....the works. Last year we had turkey but I don't think we'll have one this year simply because no one has an oven.

Christmas is really strange in Korea. Not many people celebrate it the same way we do so it's not really a big deal here. We do get the day off from work (although this year we don't get extra time because it's on a Saturday). It's really strange turning on the TV and not seeing Christmas commercials and Boxing Day Sales. I don't know whether to day that's a good thing or not.

chico2
December 6th, 2004, 08:41 AM
In my family being Swedish/French we always have opened gifts after dinner Christmas-eve,that is one tradition we kept....Christmas-Day is for lazing around,staying in your new house-coat all day,eating,drinking and just being cozy!!
This year,will be kind of lonely....one son in Alberta,one son leaving for Sacramento Cal today :sad: My oldest son and his girlfriend will join us,still I wish I had some little grand-kiddies..
As for gifts,I'd love it if someone gave me cookies or homemade candies,to me those would be the best gifts :thumbs up

Sneaky2006
December 6th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Raingirl... we're doing a few jar recipes as some gifts this year... they're so personal and everyone seems to love to talk about them. I found a great website, it has cookie, cake, soup, bread and beverage recipes for jars, with instructions to attach.
http://www.geocities.com/fourfrogs_1999/Recipes/JarContents.html

raingirl
December 6th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Thanks sneaky! That's a great site!

Sneaky2006
December 6th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Sure thing! I'm looking into the candy cookies and the gingerbread... they sound awesome! :D

DogueLover
December 6th, 2004, 09:23 AM
These are sooooo easy and make a great treat for kids, they can even help put the eyes and nose on.
I am going to make some wreaths today too and they are really simple.
One Jar Recipe I have is for mocha mix, my hubby LOVES it.

jackieb
December 6th, 2004, 09:36 AM
can i have the recipie Dogue lover for thoose cookies please

we dont really have any traditions we have our christmas tree up now cards etc and will have turkey and the trimmings and christmas pudding normally we spend christmas day just us then boxing day with one of our parents this year we are spending the whole christmas and new year with just us! Oh and hopefully it will be a white christmas!!

DogueLover
December 6th, 2004, 11:31 AM
You will need
1 bag of mini pretzel twists
1 bag of crispy mini rice crackers (caramel flavor) ( I always buy 2 bags to get enough flat ones)
chocolate chips ( for eyes)
red candy ( for the nose)
White dipping chocolate ( buy it in bulk at Superstore or Nutters )

I usually buy one bulk bag( the ones provided at the bulk bins) so that I have enough for reindeer cookies, pretzel wreaths, and white chocolate peppermint bark ( all easy to make and they get such rave reviews)

1/2 of a bag should do for 2 bags of crispy minis

Take out your electric fry pan and put in 1/2 inch of water. Place a glass bowl in the center of the pan and fill it with white chocolate wafers, melt the chocolate in the bowl and keep the pan warm ( around 200degrees)
Place rice crackers on cookie sheets lined with parchment or waxed paper.
I usually do 4 per row 12 per sheet
Cover the rice cracker with melted chocolate arrange pretzel twists and add a glob of melted chocolate on top to "glue it" to the rice cracker.
Place on chocolate chip eyes, and the candy nose.
I place them outside in the cold to harden then stack them in pizza boxes or other boxes. You can also put them in clear celophane bags tied with ribbon.

If you want to do wreaths just ask they are the same concept and the peppermint bark is to die for and sooooo simple.

These keep really well without having to be frozen.