- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Dog Growth/tumor on ear Please Help

December 4th, 2004, 12:06 AM
My dog Lamb Chop is a 4-year-old Great Pyreneese. For months, he has had a tumor on his ear. It isn't in the ear, and it isn't blocking the ear canal. It is about 2 inches in diameter, and it's pink with some black spots. I'm sure it has been growing, though I can't say how fast. My family can't afford to take him to the vet. I've tried to email vets from several different web sites, but they all want money in return for their answer to my question. This is understandable, but I don't have any money. I love my dog so much and he can't die. Please help. I need to know if this tumor could be malignant, and how much money it would cost to fix.

December 4th, 2004, 12:48 AM
I just had a tumor removed from my dog's nose. $200 and 8 stiches.

December 4th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Another member had given me this web address, this is a organization that will help you out with the costs. Right now, it states they are not receiving new applicants. They do give plenty of other sources that will also help with costs
As for the tumor/cyst this may not be anything to worry about, but, this may also be a sign of infection. Please try to see if you can get any assistance through one of the many sources out there.

I hope this will help you out, as the dog does need to see a vet. Good luck to you and your doggy


Some of the sources you may want to check out...
United Animal Nations
Help A Pet
The Pet Fund

Some of the others are based on the type of breed or location, please look into those as well.

December 4th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Thank you both. Jnes, was the tumor malignant?

December 4th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Are you sure it is a tumor? Or could it be a aural hematoma?

December 5th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Actually, maybe it is an aural hematoma. Are they deadly?

December 5th, 2004, 02:47 PM
He has had an ear infection which was treated with little success, so it could be an aural hematoma. But the growth is not on the ear flap.

December 6th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Only removal or biopsy of the tumour would let you know for sure whether or not it is malignant (if it is not a hematoma). In the mean time, check the dog frequently all over for other tumours (schedule a weekly rub-down... dogs usually enjoy this procedure). The appearance of lots of other bumps might indicate a malignant tumour, or you might notice other signs of illness.

Is the bump squishy (liquid-filled, or fatty?) or firm? Does it feel like it's attached to the underlying tissue (ie. to the ear cartilege), or to the skin, or is it relatively mobile between the tissue layers?

December 6th, 2004, 06:18 PM
It's pretty firm. I think its connected to the skin. It's hard to tell. It is a teardrop shape and every so often the bottom will break open and bleed a little. The inside looks raw. I haven't looked at it too much because it's too depressing, but I will try to locate where it is definitly attached.

December 6th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Okay. It's connected to the skin but it's close to the cartilage. there's only a thin layer of skin connecting it to his head. And it's warm.

December 7th, 2004, 12:16 PM
A hematoma would feel fluid-filled and squishy, like a water balloon. Also, if it split open for any reason, it would probably drain out (although it may later heal shut and refill). A cyst would also probably drain noticeably if it split open. Since it is quite firm it sounds more like a tumour, although it may still be benign. A tumour would likely have its own blood supply and the splitting open/bleeding is not unusual. It sounds like it would be quite easy to remove. This may be your best option, although you don't necessarily need to have it biopsied if money is tight. Sometimes it costs considerably more to have a biopsy done, when many people would just as soon wait and see what happens. If they are able to completely remove the tumour, and you haven't noticed any others, than that may be the end of it--even if the biopsy were to show malignancy.

December 8th, 2004, 04:38 PM
thanks elfelda. you've helped a lot. Hopefully we will find some way to pay for it. I'm still praying that it is benign.

December 9th, 2004, 02:37 AM
Heritage Pie,
Please try the websites offered on this page
You may find assistance with funds for the vet.

December 9th, 2004, 05:35 PM
I've looked into a few of them, but I don't think we would qualify. I'll look at the rest though. thanks