Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

anti-puppymill spam

raingirl
December 3rd, 2004, 03:48 PM
*note I am not at all serious when I say this...just a thought!*

I think that someone should hire a hacker to create a virus that we could send to a puppymillers e-mail. The virus function would be to scan all the e-mail addresses in the inbox, sent, and address book, and send an e-mail to all those addresses with an info package about puppymills and indicating if they got the email, they contacted a possible puppymill.

I was reading the post on Fidelo as a possible puppy mill and she indicated that she gets 10 - 15 pages of email about puppy requests. Imagine being able to get through to all those people at once?

(I know..I have bad thoughts :evil: ....spam is bad and we all hate it, but what if it could be put to a good use???)

mastifflover
December 3rd, 2004, 03:57 PM
I like the idea would be more like a public service than spam

BoxerRescueMTL
December 3rd, 2004, 05:21 PM
i think it's genius and i wish i was a hacker

raingirl
December 5th, 2004, 07:19 PM
I know some basic hacking that I used for fun..but that was when the internet was new! (early 90's). Security is too high now to even try.

I knew a way to hack the mcdonalds mainframe once. It was so easy. Only tried it once, but didn't do anything bad (I promise!!). I just logged on to prove I could, then got out!

I was a bad girl when I was a teen...

Don't know much bout modern programming though...

CyberKitten
December 5th, 2004, 08:04 PM
I would not so it but security is hardly high online. Just look at all the viruses and dpy software!! I have first year students who run warez sites and hack into things I do NOT even want to know about. But I just don't think it's wise to do this - sort of the ends does not justify the means. There are many wonderful strategies to take against puppy and kitten mills and even legitimate ones online.

(Not saying I won't look the other way if some 13 year old hacks into a by breeder site - most of them are so badly made in the first place!) I refuse to be holier than thou (some sites and databases just beg to be broken into, lol) Ones made with MS c*** and some of the sillier editors are especially vulnerable.

There are many ways to fight against millers!! (FYI, even CSIS and the FBI are behind in IT security and as fast as they catch up, the bad guys (NOT hackers since the original term hacker referred to goiod guys- it is the crackers that break into sites and databases for profit and mayhem that are the real bad guys!).

In this case, I am not sure it is worth the effort - most of them don;t spend money on IT. That their problem - they do everything on the cheap, and seek to exploit animals to make a profit.