Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

curious about dogs...allergies

Daisie
December 3rd, 2004, 01:53 PM
Would you consider Old English Sheepdogs to be okay with allergy sufferers? I have an OES, and I was asked this but couldn't tell them anything. I know my dog has hair that grows...like poodles, ****-zus...etc, but she also has a double coat. She doesn't shed around our house, unless I groom her, then I can get a mound of hair...the underlayer. It does not come off like labs, boxers...I know I've had those dogs.

Please let me know if there is a website, or any info you may know, so I can get back to this person. Most people I talk to want/love the breed...turned off by hair...they think they shed ALOT. Even OES dog breed info sites say they are heavy shedders, and they are not. I understand why they'd be confused.

raingirl
December 3rd, 2004, 02:53 PM
As far as I understand, there are no dogs that are non-allergenic. And the amount of hair/how much it sheds/how it grows has nothing to do with allergies.

What causes allergies is a protein found in the saliva and on the skin, not the hair. The protein gets spread around easily and it sticks to EVERYTHING! That's why if you have allergies and you move somewhere that had a dog/cat, it can take 6 months to a year for them to go away.

I have read a lot about it, and it's really more of a size issue, in that larger dogs have more skin, therefore have more dander and alergen producing cells.

I read a few articles indicating that certain dogs might have less allergin producing cells, but nothing has been proved about that.

Also, the more you wash a dog, the more allergin you wash off, the less allergies you have.

VickyK
December 3rd, 2004, 10:31 PM
There is great debate on this subject, some say there is no such thing as a hypo-allergenic dog but in my hollistic courses I was taught that Old English Sheepdogs, Kerry-Blue terriers, Daschunds, Poodles, etc.. are among a few dogs that are hypo-allergenic, cause they dont have double-coats and shed alot and because their hair is a lot similar to ours

P.s I have a friend who is an allergy sufferer and she has a Sheepdog & a Poodle and is just fine with'em :thumbs up

elfelda
December 6th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Allergies are fickle things. The best bet for anyone with allergies looking to get a specific breed of dog is to spend some time with one! Preferably one that hasn't had a bath in a couple days at least. Sit in a room with it. No reaction? Pet it. No reaction? Rub your face in it. No reaction? You're probably safe.

This is such a simple solution I am amazed more people don't think of it. It's not like you'd want to adopt or buy a dog without ever having met one!

glasslass
December 6th, 2004, 07:03 PM
People should be aware that although poodles are supposedly non-allergenic, they do require a lot of grooming. Probably someone else in the family would have to do it.

moontamara
December 7th, 2004, 01:07 AM
I'm very allergic to cats and quite allergic to most dogs. Poodles are absolutely fine for me, as are Bichon Frises, Malteses, and other non-shedding dogs. I think it really depends on the person, but I've never met anyone who was allergic to my poodle (or a previous poodle my family owned) unless said poodle had been washed with some strong smelling shampoo.

lil_kirk
December 7th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Portuguese Water Dogs are among the best for allergy and in particular asthma sufferers. They come at a high price tag--but if you're after a loving companion who won't make you itchy or close up your lungs, this is the furbaby to get :)

I don't know anything about the English Sheepdogs so unfortunately I can't offer even the smallest bit of advice with that one... :(

mona_b
December 7th, 2004, 10:10 AM
OES are not good for allergy sufferers.

Here are some breeds that do well for those who suffer from allergies.

Poodles,Portugese Water Dog,Irish Water Spaniel,Komondor,Schnauzer,Puli,Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier,Bichon,Mexican Hairless,Chinese Crested and the Afghan Hound.

Even though some of the breeds listed have long fur,it's not really fur like in other breeds.A friend of mine has allergies.He also owns and shows his Afghan.With this type of breed the fur is actually more like hair.And he has no problems at all.He had to dog sit his friends Puli and Komondor for a few days and had no problems with them either.