Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

mice!!!!!!!!!!

jackieb
December 3rd, 2004, 10:19 AM
i have found were they are comming in now to stop them they have eaten lots of my food ive had to throw it all away :mad:

mastifflover
December 3rd, 2004, 10:39 AM
Jackie I can relate to you the little buggers have done this to me as well. Seal up the holes they hate steel wool I usually put the steel wool in and then wood or filler over top. Get what ever kind of traps kill them because if you do the humane thing they will just keep coming back and they carry all kinds of diseases and make sure you wipe all the lids of your cans and bottles they can be toxic from there droppings.

raingirl
December 3rd, 2004, 10:49 AM
When I was a kid, we had mice once and my mother put EVERYTHING in glass jars! They can't eat through glass. Once there was no food, they left and never came back.

At least now you know where they came from, and can seal it up. Just make sure that you catch the ones who may have got in before you sealed it up!

jackieb
December 3rd, 2004, 11:00 AM
yes i have told my husband this is his job i threw everything away in the cupboard as i didnt want to take any risks i also washed every can and pot etc and disinfected the whole lot.

on the plus side i phone the rental co and they said if i buy a trap they will reimburse me so thats better than nothing a good idea think i may try to put everything in plastic containers

maddoxies
December 3rd, 2004, 11:10 AM
I had a MAJOR problem with mice. The little buggers used the central vac piping to make it from the basement to the second floor !! Past a cat and two goldens !! I found "evidence" of them on the shelves of clothes closets - where they had stored dry pasta etc.

The sonic traps helped a lot, to keep them confined. Once they get behind the walls the sound waves cannot penetrate, but aimed at the access points, it kept them away from access to other parts of the house. Sears carries them (I think they were mail order from an insert with my monthly bill). The sonic traps were not completely effective by themselves, but combined with other efforts (such as removing ALL possible access to food sources) they do work well.

As a preventative measure, my sister has several in her garage. It's a thought

mastifflover
December 3rd, 2004, 11:25 AM
Goldengirl what are sonic traps? Are they the white things that make noise cuz they worked for about 2 minutes and the mice are standing right beside the thing what a waste of $30.00

maddoxies
December 3rd, 2004, 11:39 AM
Mine were white boxes that you plugged into an electrical socket. There is a light behind the grill to indicate that they are working. They emit sound that humans cant hear, and doesnot disturb cats, dogs etc.

They worked for me, at a lost as to why they did not work for you ??? :confused:

raingirl
December 3rd, 2004, 12:17 PM
They worked for me too.

They say humans can't hear them, but I could actually hear the sound they make. I didn't notice it at first, but I kept hearing this sound and figured out it was from the sonic device.

Maybe that's why mine worked.

I think there are several brands on the market. Maybe some are scams and some actually do work??

I'll see if I can find out what brand it is.

mastifflover
December 3rd, 2004, 12:18 PM
Yeah the same ones there was actually a mouse standing right below the outlet totally oblivious to it. It worked to keep them away for about 2 days and then they were back. So I have gone back to traps.

jackieb
December 3rd, 2004, 12:37 PM
thanks guys im just going to get a normal trap for now and some steel filler for the cupboard and but all food in plastic containers,. I hate the thought of the mice in the cupboard around the food yeww specially with the boys.

:eek:

jackieb
December 4th, 2004, 05:43 AM
well i thought id sorted were the mice were i have now found there coming through a hole in the wall and underneath the floor of the drawers. The draws they have been in havent got no food in at all which im suprised at as they eaten through the polesteryn to get through.

Iggette
December 4th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Yes mice are horrible....Boots (a stray that was here when we moved in last dec) has caught 3 already, and I haven't seen any since, a good cat for de-mousing is great but if you don't have one, here are a few more suggestions.

How to get rid of mice (http://www.stretcher.com/stories/971125b.cfm)

Hope they help :thumbs up

jackieb
December 4th, 2004, 06:36 AM
thanks iggette i will read it i havent a cat there is one over the road that comes in our garden perhaps i could ask to borrow it lol My husband is allergic to cats but would put up with it in order to help me not clean the entire kitchen for the 5th time lol!!

I have contacted my landloard too as they are going to reimburse me the cost of one trap and looking at the amount of droppings and holes i think we have quite a few!!! yeww i actually like mice in a cage as pets i used to have one so chris has the job of sorting them out lol!!

SarahJane
December 7th, 2004, 10:20 PM
I had a mouse in my place this summer... damn that thing... because it was so CUTE and we had to kill it... we placed about 486 humane traps full of peanut butter so we could avoid killing it. Didn't work. So, we did the inevitable...old fashioned mousetrap. I couldn't deal with seeing the remains, but my BF said it at least looked like an instantaneous death... :sad:

I cried like a baby after all that. When we had cockroaches, sad to say, I didn't feel so bad... :evil:

Shae
December 8th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Blast me if you must but I read this thread and felt sick to my stomach. I rescued 5 little mice. Granted, they may not be the most intelligent little creatures but they are definately sweet..........and guess what? They bleed, breathe and feel. When the sister was ill and dying, the others dragged their bedding and spread it on top of the big sis then all layed on and around her to keep her warm. She died that night and when I looked in ALL the mice were still there laying with her with they had buried her. It was interesting to witness the way they cared for their sibling. I know, go ahead, tell me about getting intot he food,etc.....there are humane traps and alternatives to a ruthless killing. Many traps will create a very slow painful death....others they get trapped and starve to death and poison, well, I wont even go there.
Ok, said my part..........I'm leaving now.

jackieb
December 8th, 2004, 06:39 AM
not saying mice arent sweet but not in your food cupboard and wild mice have alot of diesease i have 3 small children whos health i do not want to jeperdise. So no i dont like the thought of traps and my hubby deals with them but its essenitial to stop them befroe they mutiple in the house!!!

Heinz57
December 8th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Quick traps, the snap ones are very quick. I had pet mice as a child, and even gerbils as an adult. I hated the first time we trapped a mouse because I'm from Ontario and I pictured them more like rats! (No rats in Alberta) When I saw how cute they were, I felt bad. BUT I have 4 children now, and these mice are wild and carry diseases. They were in my cupboard like yours jackieb, and had chewed through the oatmeal, crackers and cookies. Snap traps at least are the lesser evil, I never caught one in the no kill traps baited with peanut butter. Keep looking for the entrances, block them up and soon you won't need traps at all. Multiply, they will! My daughter had 9 babies under her dresser! I can't deal with disposing of them because I just can't! I haven't seen a mouse in 3 weeks now, so here's hoping the holes are sealed. Good luck jackieb, once you've found where they're getting in the problem is solved humanely.

mastifflover
December 8th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Iggette Thanks for the link I will try some of these. Tried the dryer sheet no good they are still there. Will try some from the link. Blast me if you must but I read this thread and felt sick to my stomach Well lets see they have eaten about 200.00 worth of towels that I had bought there are holes in every one of them. They were stored in a plastic bin not a box it had a lid on it too, They have eaten through every box of dry goods in my kitchen. I am sorry but if you would like to come over and trap all the mice in my building I would be fine with that but I unfortunately cannot and will not keep throwing money out replacing things for a bunch of disease carrying rodents. I would love to not have to kill them but if you release them outside they come right back in. I have found them in my dogs food bowl they are disgusting, and I love my dog more then a rodent and I will not risk him getting sick because of them. Sorry but they carry diseases I dont care how cute you think they are.

jackieb
December 8th, 2004, 11:20 AM
i dont like the thought of it and im lucky its hubbys new job now lol but like you mastiff lover there in our food cupboard and drawers with tea towels cutlery etc. Heinzs we found one whole they were comming through did as you suggested mastiff lover and filled them in. Also have put traps under the drawers there comming through oh and i tried the dryer sheets and no they dont work but the traps do.

Good luck with yours mastiff lover and hope you dont get any more heinzs i too kept mice and rats lovely if there not full of disease and eating your grocerys chewing through towels polysterene and anything they come across lol