Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats and allergies

raingirl
December 3rd, 2004, 10:00 AM
Why is it that cats are attracted to the people who are allergic to them??

I went to a friends house this weekend to pick something up. I can't stay in her house for more than 10 minutes because I get an asthma attack due to her two cats. If a cat touches my skin or clothes, I start to get hives and swell up. So when I go over I make sure the cats don't come near me.

Anyway, every time I go over, no matter who I am with, the cats come right for me!! Is there anything I can do? Once a cat of a friend of mine (who was quite violent and was eventually put down after it killed another cat) attacked my leg. That time I ended up in hospital with an allergic reaction.

I have since asked my friends who have cats to put them away before I come over just in case.

I just notice this happens every time I go somewhere with cats! It never fails that even when there are groups of people, they always come to me first! I have also talked with other people who are allergic and they said the same thing!

WHY??

(personally, I think cats are psychic and just do it to annoy us with allergies heheheh)

krdahmer
December 3rd, 2004, 12:39 PM
You know I always found that to be true...it's like they sense your aversion to them and take that as a personal insult! When I was younger I also had that kind of reaction to cats... but now own 4 of my own. I have to take my preventative medication (Serevent followed by Flovent, Singulair and Nasocort, oh and since starting these I have had no need for rescue inhalers or claritin and the like) religiously or I begin to show symptoms... but would have it no other way.

I suggest if you know there are cats where you will be going, take a benedryl or the like about 1/2 beforehand... that way you may be able to avoid the reaction or at least lessen it's intensity. And remember the asthma is actually brought on by the allergic reaction, not the actual animal.

And for those getting married... also a great way to avoid the red blotchy nervous look!

Oh and a great book is Asthma and Allergies for Dummies... great non-medical jargonny way to find out about your own A&A!

lilith_rizel
December 3rd, 2004, 12:51 PM
I too noticed that. My mother's cat, Sir William, aka Billy would only let you touch him, when he REALLY wanted attention, or if you were eating green olives LOL!. It wasn't that often, maybe a couple times a week, but it would never fail. Whenever my mom's friend Jean came over, (she was allergic) Billy would not leave her alone!! So being that we lived way out in the country, if we knew Jean was coming out, we would let Billy outside for a few hours, until she left.

Sneaky2006
December 3rd, 2004, 01:18 PM
My brother is terribly allergic to cats. He has to come here everyday and drop off and pick up his kids. He'll sit on my couch for one minute and 3 of my cats are all over him (but not his GF), trying to rub against him, hop in his lap... he just smiles and says yuck! He hates cats (or so he says) but I think it's only cause he's so allergic.
When he's here visiting for a few hours, I set the cats up in the basement with all their goodies and after about 2 hours my brother starts wheezing and scratching his neck like crazy. His whole neck and face get red and swelled, he's got to put a cold cloth on it and go outside for a bit.
Hmmm, maybe we should start hangin out at his house instead...

raingirl
December 3rd, 2004, 01:23 PM
hahah. krdahmer you sound like me. I take Flonase and Pulmicort daily and even those, plus a rescue inhaler, and allergy meds (I can't take benadryl or anything with decongestants, as you are not supposed to take decongestants if you have asthma. I take..whats the name...one of those antihistamines that used to be prescription like allegra) don't help 100%.

Even if I take a pill, I still get an asthma attack around a cat in less than 10 minutes, just no itchy eyes or runny nose.

It's odd how bad allergies are in my family, but I'm the only one not allegic to dogs. I got tested three times to make sure, and no reaction whatsoever. When I had the cat allergy tested, my arm swelled up!!

My sister is actually in the hospital now because of her allergies. She went into shock. She doesn't do anything to help them, and because she is poor and has a disabled son, she is living illegally in someone's basement, and the owners have cats and dogs, and the walls are covered in mold. I tried to help her but she hates me and doesn't let me do anything. Oh well. The docs told her she could die if it happens again, but she has nowhere to move.

Maybe they are insulted. I just think they are evil and doing it on purpose to get rid of us!!

Sneaky2006
December 3rd, 2004, 01:28 PM
Maybe they are insulted or maybe they have a sense like dogs do. Maybe they sense something is wrong with you or something is about to happen and they want to be there for you, not knowing it's them that is making you ill! :rolleyes: :D
I say this because when I am sick, they're all over me and I'm not allergic but having a cat in your face when you can't breathe doesn't help matters.

chico2
December 3rd, 2004, 04:13 PM
I have a friend who does not like cats and my Chico scared the heck out of her by jumping onto her lap and stayed by her feet all night,almost like he was saying"I'll show you lady,for not liking cats :evil: "

sujean
December 3rd, 2004, 05:16 PM
my mom "hates" cats (hehe, that's what she says but when she is at my house, she talks to them...) and true enough when my mom is staying at my house, all 4 cats can't get enough of her. i arm mom with a spray gun but they still come around, even though they are getting crazy wet.

i think they just have a 6th sense for those that are trying to avoid them... :D

marko
December 7th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Could it be the same phenomenon as cats and strangers
taken from the pet tips section on this site
http://www.pets.ca/index-tips.htm

Tip - 11 - Cats and Strangers

Cats and strangers in the house

Why do cats tend to gravitate toward those people that don't like cats?
This is a common occurrence at house parties. A group of friends gather together at a house that has a cat. Sure enough there are cat lovers in the room, as well as people that don't care for cats. Why then does the cat often choose to hang out near the person (or on the lap of the person) that doesn't care for cats?

The answer has to do with direct eye contact. Direct eye contact or staring at the cat is a threatening sign for the cat. Of course all the cat lovers in the room are doing the staring trying to get the cat's attention. On the other hand the cat 'disliker' generally avoids looking at the cat and is usually ignoring the cat. This makes the cat feel more comfortable and they will often approach that person. So if you are a cat lover and want the attention of a strange cat, maybe the best trick is to avoid the cat all together and see if it comes around.