Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Dog and Visiting Baby

SarahLynn123
December 3rd, 2004, 10:28 AM
I have a 6 year old rescue that Ive had for about 2 months. We are having company over tonight and they have a 2 month old baby. My dog has rarely been around children or babies from what I know. When we go for our nightly walks and she sees kids she gets really excited and crys to play with them. We had a 3 year old little girl over a while ago and she was too afraid to touch the dog (Belle) so Belle kept trying to jump up and see her and smell her. What should I do, Im sure Belle would not to anything other then smell the baby and move on to play with somebody else, but Id rather not take that kind of chance. Any suggestions on what I should do?
Thanks

Lucky Rescue
December 3rd, 2004, 11:30 AM
but Id rather not take that kind of chance

There's your answer.;) The baby is only visiting and really doesn't need to have contact with your dog, which the parents would probably not want anyway.

Just have her sit near you, on a leash, and praise and treat her for behaving and correct her if she tries to jump up or lunge.

If you want your dog to be good with kids, she needs to learn not to jump up.

Rainy
December 3rd, 2004, 11:55 AM
Lucky is very wise :) I suggest you also watch your dog closely for signs that she's not stressing should the baby cry. 2 month old babies cry and sometimes really loud! You can see in your dogs face if he/she is curious or scared /panicking......or wanting to protect the baby .....or not at all interested .You know your dogs body language by now ;)
Should your dog show alot of interest in the baby with tail wagging let her sniff the toes up to butt..no reason for a face greeting.

SarahLynn123
December 3rd, 2004, 12:47 PM
There's your answer.;) .

Just have her sit near you, on a leash, and praise and treat her for behaving and correct her if she tries to jump up or lunge.

Thanks, thats exactly what I was looking for, I have never been in this situation before so I wasnt sure if I was suppose to lock her in a diff room or something.

I will have her on a leash by me tonight, thanks for you help!

SarahLynn123
December 3rd, 2004, 01:00 PM
What if I notice that she is getting distressed, should I remove her from the room, put her in the crate, put her outside. Thanks for all your help, I really dont want to make any mistakes in this situation.

BMDLuver
December 3rd, 2004, 04:27 PM
If the 3 year old child has access to the crate then do not use it. Kids like to poke fingers in the crate and this will stress your dog further. It is best to remove her to a quiet room in the house, give her some treats, some praise and let her be until the children leave the house.

SarahLynn123
December 3rd, 2004, 04:40 PM
perfect, I think I am now ready for this visit, thanks for all the great advice!