Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

More paranoia?

badger
December 3rd, 2004, 09:15 AM
Badger, a large brown tabby, we don't know how old he is, maybe 8, has always had a problem with constipation. Tried lactulose for awhile but it gave him belly aches. Now I give him pumpkin every few days. Since he 'goes' outside when the weather's fine, I haven't been able to monitor his output. Other than being tubbier than he should (he eats Innova and canned food) he is in great health. The other night, I was watching him in the litter box, really straining, then came this gurgling sound, then mucous and blood, not alot, but definitely blood. Nothing after that. I've been watching him like a hawk, checking under his tail :) but this has not repeated. He is eating and behaving quite normally, not hiding.
Do I need the vet?
Blood always makes me a little nervous.

mastifflover
December 3rd, 2004, 10:18 AM
Badger if you can get a sample of his stool I would take it in and have the vet test it. Better safe than sorry

Lucky Rescue
December 3rd, 2004, 10:25 AM
Agree. Any cat who goes outside could have, at the very least, worms.

Does he eat canned food?

badger
December 3rd, 2004, 10:44 AM
Oh yeah, as much as he can get. They prefer the Innova dry, but I try to sneak in a little water. He is a good drinker and never had a urinary problem. He's 'humping' his blanket alot more :) not sure if that has any significance.

elfelda
December 6th, 2004, 01:11 PM
If he has had a regular problem with constipation, the blood may be due to large or overly firm stool ripping small blood vessels in his rectum. This is not serious as long as it is occasional and he is still able to pass the stool, but obviously it is uncomfortable, and can result in infection. The obesity worsens his constipation. You might consider switching to a weight loss diet; a diet with elevated fibre will both help him lose weight (while still feeling full) and loosen his stool.

Most importantly, I would recommend keeping him indoors for a few days at least to monitor his "output". He may be unhappy about it, but it is the only way to make sure he is pooping! He should be producing stool once or twice a day. If he does not produce any stool for a day or two (or produces only liquid or blood) his bowels may be impacted, and this is very serious.