Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog has bloody diarrhea every 3rd day

sharonr
December 2nd, 2004, 10:03 PM
I have taken my dog to 3 vets over the last 30 days and have done multiple tests to determine why he has very bad bloody diarrhea and vomitting every 3rd day.
He has been on flagyl for the last 10 days to treat giardia. He is perfectly OK for 3 days and then it hits. It only lasts for a day where he won't eat anything, is very lathargic, bloody diarrhea and vomitting. Three days ago we started him on albon along with flagyl.
He is a 3 year Australian Sheppard and otherwise in good health.
Do these drugs just need more time to work?? Right now I can hear his stomach making noises and he won't eat anything.
Any suggestions?? HELP

Lucky Rescue
December 2nd, 2004, 10:44 PM
Oh poor dog! What tests has your vet done? Neither giardia nor Flagyl should cause these kinds of symptoms in a healthy young adult dog, as far as I know.

There are others here more knowledgeable who can give you better opinions.

BMDLuver
December 3rd, 2004, 09:09 AM
Has your dog been tested for Leptospirosis? The results can take up to two weeks to come back.

goldenblaze
December 3rd, 2004, 03:12 PM
Sorry to hear about your Aussie... great dogs. I had two aussie's blue and red merle brothers. I can't give any advice but I do hope your aussie is better real soon. Good Luck. :)

VickyK
December 3rd, 2004, 10:09 PM
Leptospirosis can exhibit lethargy but not blood in the stool. It also causes excessive drinking and urinating with a fever, I dont think that would be it. Was he checked for parvovirus? I do know that Giardia usually affects immuno-comprimised dogs, so it could just be that his immune system is weak right now and just need a few days on those meds to recover....I wish you the best of luck and I'm sorry I could not be more helpful.

glasslass
December 4th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Have they done bloodtests to rule out HGE?

sharonr
December 4th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Thank you to all who responded to my cries for help. I will check with the vet on the tests you mentioned. The pattern seems so predictable that it should be easier to diagnose. Keep your fingers crossed that the meds he is on will kick in soon!!!
Thanks again and happy holidays to all you pet lovers!!

pitbulliest
December 5th, 2004, 02:25 AM
sharonr. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion from another vet as well. Good luck :(

Sheriffmom
December 5th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Have they checked for colitis? Our pup has that, (although thankfully not severe). We were told with severe cases blood in the stool can be present. Usually the diarrhea looks sort of "foamy" or ""bubbly" (eeewww I know!!) With the meds he takes he has been GREAT. (He only takes the meds for a few days when symptoms show, it used to be a least once a month..... Gratefully he seems to be growing out of it, and hasn't been on the meds since June!!! Yipeee :love: )
Hope you find your answeres soon.... and Pitbulliest's idea is great, if one Vet can't figure it out.... get another opinion (just like you would do, if you knew something was wrong with a 2 legged family member :) )