Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Urinating - Girlfriend moved in.

cattij
December 2nd, 2004, 03:44 PM
Hi,

My girlfriend moved in with me two months ago and a couple of days ago my cats started urinating over various areas of the house (I have two cats,both two years old).

They have been very specific where they have urinated. First on the back of one of her photo frames she had brought from home (felt backed), secondly on a piece of bubble wrap by my computer and last night on her bag and pass for work. Two of the occasions they have been on things of hers, which made me think they were marking their territory but I don't understand why they have urinated on the bubble wrap. On all occasions the items are high up (on a desk, dresser and kitchen bench).

I've had a look at the other questions posted on the "ask the vet" and they suggest 1) Affection or 2) Stress. Because its been two months since she's moved in would there be any reason why they would start doing it now.

They have not been de-sexed yet and are indoor cats.

It would be appreciated if we could get suggestions asap as my girlfriend says she can't live like this and wants to get rid of them (with or without my permission).

Thanks!

chico2
December 2nd, 2004, 04:00 PM
First off,if any girl/boyfriend of mine would threaten to"get rid of"my cats,he/she would be gone in no-time.
Secondly,you need to have your cats neutered/spayed..you don't say if they are males or females.
In my view,the cats more than likely sense your g/f hostility,are stressed out because of changes in their lives,cats stress easily and show their insecurity by spraying or peeing.
Neuturing/spaying is an absolute must,if you want healthy cats,also in case they should get out(it happens!!)and make unwanted kittens.Whatever you do,do not punish the cats,try to clean the areas to remove the odor,if you see it happen,put the cat in the litter-box...do under no circumstances hit the cats,they are already really stressed out.
Someone else might be able to come with a solution,but I believe they are protesting your g/f's attitude.

whinnie-boo
December 2nd, 2004, 04:02 PM
I hope you will not let that happen, they came first.

But, I'm certain all they are doing is making the new things in THEIR home, smell like them. My cat did this when my boyfriend moved in a few years ago. Quickest solution, get them fixed.

mastifflover
December 2nd, 2004, 04:23 PM
I am with you Chico my ex told me that the dog goes or he does, I told him not to let the door hit him in the a** on the way out. He thought I was kidding until I started taking his stuff and throwing it on the bed and told him to start packing. No one threatens me or my dog. If this all of a sudden started to happen I would think that they are sensing you gf's attitude and maybe she has done something when you are not there. And get them s/n'd, for their health and this will probably help with them urinating inside.

badger
December 2nd, 2004, 04:32 PM
Yeah, she should really suck up to them a bit, that would help, maybe she could be the one to feed them so they know she has SOME use :) You could also try Rescue Remedy, which reduces anxiety in cats. Mine won't eat it in their food so I put a few drops right into their mouths. Who knows why the time lapse, cats are mysterious, which is one of the reasons we love 'em!

cattij
December 2nd, 2004, 04:33 PM
Thanks for your responses guys.

To get the record straight...my girlfriend actually doesn't hate my cats....she was fine with them up until a couple of days ago! (They liked her more than me and would jump on her lap over mine!)

They're both female cats and on heat at the moment (doing those yowling meows calling for a mate) - do you think desexing will stop them from peeing on stuff (again, it hasn't just been her stuff).

We have their litterbox in the laundry and I am going to make sure I keep it clean so they can't use non-cleanliness as an excuse! But do you think locking them in the laundry at night would be a bad idea? Or even locking them in half of the house (when they normally have a free reign of the whole house)?

I have a young daughter and don't want them urinating all over all of her stuff too...

badger
December 2nd, 2004, 04:37 PM
I vote for getting them fixed ASAP and if that doesn't help try some of the other stuff. You know, they actually suffer when they're in heat, so you would be doing them a big favour, apart from all the diseases associated with intact females. So call your vet and set it up, you'll definitely see changes.

mastifflover
December 2nd, 2004, 04:59 PM
Well now that you have mentioned they are in heat that makes a big difference that is probably the problem.

badger
December 2nd, 2004, 05:06 PM
Sorry didn't mean to slag your girlfriend. In fact, I had a spraying cat just recently and good thing I didn't have any visitors, if you know what I mean. Phew! But I think this can be fixed.

Lucky Rescue
December 2nd, 2004, 05:07 PM
These cats should have been spayed 1 1/2 years ago.

Cats are in heat more or less constantly unless they are bred or spayed.

Yes, their intact status and accompanying physical and emotional stress could cause their indescriminate urinating.

Get them spayed asap.

mona_b
December 2nd, 2004, 06:30 PM
I have to agree,they should have been spayed long ago.My question is,are the urinating or spraying?There is a difference.My calico came into heat just before she had to go get spayed.Man she kept us up all night.She was actually spraying and not urinating.It has a very strong smell that,not that much difference from a male cat who sprays..They still spayed her even though she was in heat.I did pay a bit more.But trust me,it was worth it.She never did it again.And that was a little over 2 years ago.So yes,make an appt and them both done.

chico2
December 2nd, 2004, 07:55 PM
Females in heat :eek: that certainly changes things..females too spray at times.But they must have been in heat before and they never sprayed,so there is still the stressfactor...

krdahmer
December 2nd, 2004, 08:13 PM
If you only have one litter box for the two cats, I also suggest getting another. For some reason my two gals (both fixed) had the same behaviour when they got to be two years old (cat version of terrible 2's maybe!?). Lucky for me, the peeing was only around the "litter room" and not on carpet. All I did was get another full size litter box so they each had their own, and never had this problem again. :)

CyberKitten
December 2nd, 2004, 08:23 PM
I have to concur with the general sentiment - intact females kitties IN HEAT who have to share a litterbox and a new human in the house who would even consider displacing them (to phrase it in a kinder and gentler way) - you are lucky there are but a few problems!!

And I agree with the first response. Any person sharing my home who suggested the pet go would find their bags packed pretty quickly!!

Get them to a vet asap and have them neutered!! Poor babies! Lots of stress and in heat too!

krdahmer
December 2nd, 2004, 08:24 PM
Oh and funny cat in heat story...

I went away to my in-laws for the weekend once and left the cats at home. My parents were going to check in on them and feed them etc. So, I call in to check my cell messages one afternoon and get this harried message from my mom...
" Please call me as soon as you get this, I think there may be something wrong with Windy... she seems to be in pain because she is really making a lot of noise...and she's almost crawling along...it looks like her back legs may be hurt or paralysed...almost like it is hurting her to walk and something may be wrong with her bum... she ate her treats, then went right back to crying out in pain! I'll have my cell on so call as soon as you can..."

My poor mom... she never had pets growing up, and I forgot to tell her Windy had gone into heat that Friday!!! :eek: LMAO But really if you knew nothing of cats... that behaviour would be alarming, and pretty much like she described.

Needless to say my dad had a good chuckle, as did me and my hubby when I let him hear the message. I called her back and let her know right away that she was ok and not to worry of course. And Windy went to get fixed along with Smoke as scheduled a couple weeks later.

elfelda
December 6th, 2004, 03:36 PM
What a veterinarian might call "abnormal urination" seems to be the most common complaint with indoor cats and also a common reason they end up with me at the Humane Society :(

Fortunately there is usually a quick and easy cure - spay or neuter them. It's not cruel - and it's not "de-sexing". A woman who has had a hysterectomy to prevent pregnancy is still a woman, and a female cat who's been spayed is still a female cat.

Although these two may have been in heat before, it may take a couple years for cats to fully mature and the hormones controlling their behaviour may only now be at maximum levels. Spaying them will also decrease their urge to "roam" (ie. scratch through your patio doors) and their chance of getting all kind so of diseases, like cancer, later on.

Certainly the strange new smells around the house may also increase their urge to mark things, even if they like your girlfriend, but female cats very rarely spray unless they are in heat or have a urinary tract infection. If you are sure they are both doing it, then it's probably not a UTI (another clue would be blood in the urine).

For the time being I would keep them confined at night if you want to prevent further episodes. Unfortunately, the behaviour is likely to spread to more objects and with increased frequency until you get them fixed.

glasslass
December 6th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Not wanting to be crass, but . . . . maybe your girlfriend is also PMS'g, in which case they could all be upset with each other. You can spay the cats though. :sorry:

Aniluver
February 15th, 2005, 02:03 PM
I was looking around about a problem I'm having with my cat (fur loss) and saw this and just wanted to add. My male cat was fixed when he was a kitten. When someone comes to stay with us (big house) he heads for their suitcases.......he also for some reason loves to pee on Abercrombie and Fitch bags .....(go figure) my daughter is an A & F junkie and she likes to save the bags but, has got to keep them up high in her closet - or else. He'll poop on them too. (maybe he knows how much i hate that store) haha

Anyway, just wanted to say I agree with the post that said they want to make new things their own and also that my cat is fixed.....he still does it.

drives me crazy. My brother just replaced a very expensive suitcase and was so mad. I had to guard my cat.

Do a lot of you think this only happens when their not fixed?

chico2
February 15th, 2005, 02:17 PM
I have a cat Rocky,who sprays on occasion even though he's neutered...
When we had company staying over,he went and peed and pooped in OUR bed,upset over strangers in HIS house.
The same with the suitcases happens if we are going away,he knows by the sight of the bags that we are leaving and tries to make sure we do not forget to come back,by leaving his scent.
I never leave bags or anything like it on the floor,just in case..
Your cat might object to the invasion of his world by the girlfriend,she should cuddle him and get to know him,since she is staying there,maybe he'll accept her.

greaterdane
February 15th, 2005, 02:25 PM
My mother had the same experience. It was both my mother and fathers cat, but Tiger really took to my dad. Because of this Tiger would pee in all my moms shoes and on her clothes. My mom started feeding tiger and playing with him all the time to win him over. Eventually the peeing stopped but Tiger fell asleep behind the neighbours car and didnt make it. This was before I was born though so it is just a story I hear over and over again from my father.

Chris Dimeglio
February 18th, 2005, 10:48 AM
When Schatzie came to us as a puppy, our female (spayed) cat showed her displeasure by clawing our couch and peeing on other furniture. We had been showing the puppy a lot of attention. Both came to us as strays, I should add. We bought a feel good spray from the vet and sprayed it where Meenette was clawing and on the furniture that had been cleaned. We also gave her a lot of extra loving. She eventually decided that life would be good if she could be the alpha, and she somehow became our puppy's mom and raised her. They get along beautifully now and have for the last 8 + years. Meenette rules and she knows it. I definitely believe that hormones are part of the issue for your kitties and think spaying will help. Also .... extra loving never hurt anyone. Good luck ... it will be a process but there is no reason why it cannot turn out happy for all concerned.

maddoxies
February 18th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Make sure that you clean well wherever they have inappropriately eliminated. Water and white vinegar are the best for removing those odours. Animals have a much better sense of smell that we do. They will return to the places where they smell their previous indiscretions.

In addition to a second litter box, how old is the one they use now? Plastic litter boxes will absorbe odours over time as well. Maybe soak the one you have in 50/50 water and vinegar for a hour or so and scrub it out well (or replace it).

Spaying will help, Rescue Remedy (either administered directly or added to the water bowl) will help their stress and it will not affect any animals not stressed if they drink from the same water bowl. Have your girlfriend take the frontline with them. She feeds them, she gives them treats (and only her). This will help in their acceptance of her.

Good luck