Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs eating excrements

soyouz
December 2nd, 2004, 12:15 PM
HI,

I have a big problem with my 10month beagle , she eat her own excrements and i saw her going on the cat litter to eat some of the cat . erk . I put the litter in a place she cannot go..but what can i do for her own excrement...

I don't know what to do ...she just begin to do that.. :eek:

thanks for help

heidiho
December 2nd, 2004, 12:37 PM
Forbid,your vet will have it..

Mistruzzi
December 2nd, 2004, 12:49 PM
Both my puppies eat their own poop when they were really little.It was disgusting, but one day they stopped doing it.

whinnie-boo
December 2nd, 2004, 01:35 PM
A puppy that eats its own mess, can cause itself serious stomach problems.

Consult your Vet. He'll probably recommend FORBID, which is a powder you administer in their food, which makes that taste less appealing, and could make their tummys a little upset if they do ingest it again. :sick:

Usually they do grow out of it, but its very gross that they do it in the first place. You have to wonder what they're thinking?????????????????????????

twinmommy
December 2nd, 2004, 01:37 PM
good idea to move the cat litter anyways, the clumping one can cause a lot of problems--well, they all can right? And you may want to, if you haven't already done so, move the cat food....puppies LOOOVE it.

the poop eating thing can be worked on..do you do basic obedience? Practice with him on leesh, so you can pull him away. I know it's gross, both mine did it, not for long though

soyouz
December 2nd, 2004, 02:06 PM
I will call the vet tonight,

but it's possible she stop with age ...?

thanks a lot for your reply

great help , i'll try FORBID

schape
December 2nd, 2004, 03:12 PM
..but what can i do for her own excrement...

I don't know what to do ...

This happens on your own yard? My advice is very simple: pick them up before she has a chance to eat them.

Karsalis
December 2nd, 2004, 05:16 PM
my recomended putting chili powder or hot sauce on the poo. i did and my pup never came close to want to eat his poo again.

Hound_Dog
December 2nd, 2004, 08:59 PM
I've got a dog who loves hot sauce....needless to say, the result was super gross.

soyouz
December 3rd, 2004, 02:38 PM
Karslalis,

what a good idea...and so simple !!!
i'll try it in the week-end ...

noxes
December 7th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Odessa was eating her own poo too, but only when she had an accident inside. I think she was trying to hide it. But she hasn't had any poo accidents inside for a long time (knock on wood) so no problems anymore (knock on wood)

Sunkist/Winnie
December 7th, 2004, 01:45 PM
I was told (can't remember who told me) when a dog does this it's because they are lacking something in their diet and to switch to a better quality food.

Not sure if this is true or not, probably best to call your vet and ask.