Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to teach Meeko not to scratch people?

Meghan_K
December 2nd, 2004, 03:08 AM
Just a quick question- Is there any surefire way to train Meeko not to scratch people, or will he just eventually settle down and grow out of it as he gets older?

I never encourage him to scratch, I only play with him with his toys, not fingers, but I get the feeling that the people I got him from (free kitty ad in the paper) did, as they had several young children.

Any Ideas? I'm all ears. My husband was subject to a "flash attack" while snoozing on the couch today, and he got a sharp little claw right in the eye. (It's a little red, but nothing serious :rolleyes: )

Stewart
December 2nd, 2004, 04:07 AM
[QUOTE=Meghan_K]Just a quick question- Is there any surefire way to train Meeko not to scratch people, or will he just eventually settle down and grow out of it as he gets older?

Hi ! Just a couple of questions ....... How old is Meeko ?How long have you had him?Have you been around young cats much before?...... I only ask as we have had cats for 27 yrs now,Two pairs,The first pair were females and nowa days we have two males.Young cats like to stalk and hunt,Lifes one big hunting exspedition to them ;) They will scratch and claw anything and everything,run up curtains etc ;) lol ! Get him a ball and maybe a scratch post,Just bear with it and when he is old enough have him neutred,Both males and females quieten down some afterwards ;) I dont proffess to be a cat exspert these are just observations of cat behaviour after a long apprentiship as a cat owenr ;) Oh by the way catnip treats! They go GA! GA! for them they go all swooney and dreamy ;) Enjoy the fun with the pain lol !

chico2
December 2nd, 2004, 07:28 AM
Well,I've had cats most of my life and that is a looong time!!!
Like Stewart,I do not proffess to know everything,every cat has their own high-jinks and personality.Right now I have 3 males 2,6 and 8 yrs old.
To kittens,everything is play,moving toes or fingers under the blanket anything that moves....To "un-teach"a kitten to play would be virtually impossible....that is so very much part of being a kitten soon enough they'll be sleeping a lot and only have some crazy periods.
It's up to you to protect your hands,my hands used to look like road-maps every time I had a new kitten(not recommended!)but I did not mind..
If he pounces on you in bed,all you can really do is close the door and let him have something other than your face to play with :D
Other than teaching him to use the litterbox and use a scratch-post,a kitten should be left to be a kitten,it's up to the owner to protect themselves if need be.
Please do not dicipline a kitten...after neuter/spay he'll calm down somewhat,but love him for what he is,a typical kitten :love:

Meghan_K
December 2nd, 2004, 10:23 AM
Well Stewart, to answer your question, Meeko is just over 2 monthes old, and is most definately a male. I grew up on a farm, so I have always been around young kitties. (Thank god). Plenty a time we were (my bro and me) charged with the resposibility of catching one of the wilder kittens to take into the vet for shots. So I too, have had hands that look like roadmaps :D .
I didn't think there was really any way to teach him not to scratch, but it was worth a try (for my husband's sake...). How old should a male be before it is alright to get him neutered? Will his personality change quite a bit? I hope not, he's so much fun right now, especially when he's feeling snuggly. :D

chico2
December 2nd, 2004, 10:42 AM
Meghan,it sounds like you know about kitten behaviour as well as I do :thumbs up
What time to neuter depends on the vet,mine says 7-8 months,enough time for his organs to develop properly...I never had mine done earlier than 7 months.Some shelters do it way earlier,but why take a chance?
I don't think their personality changed,mine are still behaving like kittens many times :D
You just don't want a male to start spraying,which can happen as they mature,I am sure you know that too :thumbs up

mona_b
December 2nd, 2004, 07:18 PM
Well it seems that he is doing what kittens do.They love to scratch.My 14 month old was a devil kitten.LOL..He has calmed down since we got him a sister.Winnie was the opposite of Casper,who is deaf.Mind you Winnie got me good on the forehead the other day.3 large scratches on the forehead.That's only cause she used my forhead as a takeoff when she was going after Casper.The funny thing is,Winnie never scratched any of us.

As for the neutering,Casper had it done at 8 weeks.He was adopted from the SPCA.There they don't let them leave untill they are done.Like I mentioned,he's 14 months old and is fine.Winnie,who was also adopted was done at 8 weeks.She's 9 months old and is also fine.It's up to you.Any pics of the little one?

Meghan_K
December 2nd, 2004, 10:23 PM
Here's some cute pics I took of Meeko playing in his cat tunnel (A red tobbagan rolled into a tube and secured with duct tape :p ) . There are a couple more pictures of him the the pictures forum, too. Such a pretty kitty! :)

Shaykeija
December 2nd, 2004, 11:56 PM
A Star is Born.... :party: What a little charmer..

CyberKitten
December 3rd, 2004, 12:30 AM
You kitten is adorable. I agree, a kitten is a kitten is a kitten! I have a three month old little scratcher that loves to chase anything that moves - Delicate Diva or not ,it who she is!!

You can teach your kitty NOT to scratch your hands though because allowing them to do it sends them the message that it is OK and that makes everyone's hands fair game, even visitors who may not welcome it. When he scratches you, pick him up and put him away from where you are so that kind of play is discouraged. NEVER hit him - or her. that just teaches him to be afraid. (tho I am guessing I am speaking to the converted here).

A kitten is like a toddler - they need supervision, playtime, naptime and time to go to washroom, lol And these are the important years (Just like the first year of a child is the most important so are these years the most important for your kitten. Mamacat taught him or her the basics but it is up to you to protect him but give him toys to play with (other than your fingers - even tho I know that is fun!!), lots of security and a good place to sleep! And lotf of love of course!!

mona_b
December 6th, 2004, 06:54 PM
What a sweetie... :)

chico2
December 7th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Awwwww,kittens and puppies....got to love them...