Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog misbehaving when not at home

meerkataus
December 2nd, 2004, 12:34 AM
Hi,

my border collie cross is well behaved when we are at home, as soon as we go he starts ripping apart fly screens etc.

He is obviously getting seperation anxiety, so how do we curb his naughty behaviour ?

Andrew

Hound_Dog
December 2nd, 2004, 01:23 AM
I usually find that my guy only "misbehaves" when he doesn't go out for his daily exercise. It might not be the case of separation anxiety, but rather your dog has some energy and needs to burn it off. I always take my dogs out for a good half an hour play and they sleep most of the afternoon.

If I'm running short on time, I give my guy a Kong filled with peanut butter or other treats that I have frozen overnight. This gives him something to do when you're not home.

You could also crate your dog when you're not home. I crate my other three dogs when I'm not home. They aren't crated overnight while I'm sleeping.

Remember, the behavior isn't naughty...your dog might just be looking for something to do.

CyberKitten
December 2nd, 2004, 04:51 AM
I have a co-worker who calls her dog (an energetic and very active dalmation) and talks to him on the answering machine. One of these days, I expect him to chew the machine or the cord but thus far, her strategy seems to work, lol

marko
December 2nd, 2004, 07:02 AM
Here is a good article

Hope it helps.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dogsepanx.htm

meerkataus
December 2nd, 2004, 04:47 PM
Whats crating ?

heeler's rock!
December 2nd, 2004, 11:03 PM
Crating is when you put your dog in a crate while you're out. I do it with my two pups when we're not home, and it works well! Border collies have a TON of energy and constantly need to be doing something to focus on. How often do you take your dog out, and for how long? Our 3 dogs go out at least twice a day for a good 45 minutes or more each time. They still play around in the house and will destroy things if they're not crated. Another option is hiring a dog walker or taking your pup to doggy daycare, eevn just twice a week. If you decide to crate, you should get a kennel that is a little bigger than your pup, but not too much bigger. They should have enough room to stand up, turn around, and lay down flat. Put a blanket and a toy in there for them, and that should work well. To get them used to the crate, crate them for a bit while you're home, and let them out so that they get used to it. Some dogs hate being crated and will cry a lot and whine, so getting them used to it and making it a safe place for them, should help. Keep the crate door open when you're home and reward them with a treat when they go in, so they associate it with good things. Good luck! :)

meerkataus
December 2nd, 2004, 11:27 PM
Hi he gets a walk 2-3 times a week and has a nice big back yard.

He's a funny dog, he'll stay inside all day/night (except visits to the loo) and he's as happy as a pig in mud. If we leave him out and are at home, once again he's happy. It's only when we are not there.

I had someone explain to me that because this is the 2nd house since we got him 8 mths ago and also we got him at 3 yrs old from the original owners that he is unsettled/unsure etc and when we go he gets worked up.

The other breed in him (Maremma) I think tempers him down, because of this he is less energetic that the average border collie.

DogHouseMark
December 4th, 2004, 04:18 PM
My clients at my facility tell me that a day in my daycare will usually tire out a dog for two days. A previous recommendation for Dog Daycare is a great idea.
You can check the NADDA website for a daycare in your area.
The site is www.nadda.ca

Best of Luck

Mark Mann
The Original Dog House Inc.

TalonsMa
December 16th, 2004, 05:22 PM
This sounds like either boredome, or separation anxiety...I would crate him when you leave him alone. this way he cannot damage anything.