Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for a young dog or a puppy to adopt

Magda
December 1st, 2004, 07:54 PM
I am looking for a mix breed unspayed medium to large size, young dog or a puppy to adopt. I have two senior cats at home so the dog should be familiar with cats. I always had dogs who were not spayed and I do not intend to breed the dog.
The last dog I had was not spayed and we didn't breed him. He was happy and thin:):) We live very close to parks (Dundas, Ontario) and used to walk our previous dog 2 to 3 times a day, sometimes even more. We are all adults and there is somebody at home most of the time. I can pay a reasonable price for the right dog.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/newthread.php#

Sneaky2006
December 1st, 2004, 07:57 PM
May I ask why you want an unaltered dog if you don't intend on breeding?

Sheriffmom
December 1st, 2004, 08:51 PM
You'll probably need to buy a dog instead of adopting because no reputable rescue will let you have a dog unaltered.
If you arn't planning to breed, why would you want the dog to be unaltered?

BMDLuver
December 1st, 2004, 09:06 PM
Male dogs are neutered, female dogs are spayed. The instance of cancer is far greater in unaltered dogs so why risk it? Silly really.

SarahJane
December 1st, 2004, 09:12 PM
Seems by saying that her last dog was not neutered and was "happy and thin", she seems to buy into the stereotype that altered dogs get lazy and fat... too far from the truth! Magda, you must have your dogs fixed... for their health and for the common good! :mad:

Lucky Rescue
December 1st, 2004, 11:40 PM
Intact bitches are very likely to get pyometra, a life threatening infection of the uterus, which requires very expensive emergency surgery. They are also subject to mammary cancer and ovarian cancer.

Intact bitches will bleed all over your carpet and furniture, and may get nasty and moody since their urge to procreate is constantly frustrated. False pregnancies can result.

They will also attract every male on the block, and are very determined to get out.

As has been said NO rescue or shelter is going to give you an intact dog as that would be incredibly irresponsible of them.

Dogs don't get "fat and lazy" from spaying. That is a very outdated and false notion. Dogs get fat and lazy from too little exercise and too much food. My dog is 4 years old, spayed and very lively and very happy.

Bugsy
December 2nd, 2004, 12:41 AM
He was happy and thin:):)

Is the dog planning a future in modeling? :rolleyes:

badger
December 2nd, 2004, 01:21 AM
Too funny Bugsy