Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bumps on Puppy's Chin

jjgeonerd
December 1st, 2004, 12:54 PM
Gabby is an 8 month old lab mix (short hair like a pit) and has several small bumps on the very end her chin. She has had them (not the same ones) since we got her several months ago. They kind of look like ingrown hairs, or something similar, and are pretty hard. Every once in a while one will break open, bleed a tiny bit, then go away. They don't seem to bother her except they itch every so often.

Does anyone know if dogs get ingrown hairs? Maybe from digging and rooting around? Any experience with this?

Thanks a lot!

Bugsy
December 1st, 2004, 01:11 PM
Canine acne?

Link
http://petplace.netscape.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=17

jjgeonerd
December 1st, 2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks...those symptoms are exactly what she is showing...even down to the rubbing the face on our legs and the carpet. The picture also looks the same. I didn't think it was a big deal, but I just wanted to make sure. :)

I'll keep an eye on her just in case for the other stuff.

Thanks a lot for the link.

jjgeonerd
December 1st, 2004, 01:34 PM
Uh oh...read it again...I'll probably take her to the vet. Hopefully it isn't infected. :sick:

Bugsy
December 2nd, 2004, 01:48 AM
It really isn't a big deal. My rottie had this. My vet suggested I switch to stainless steel dishes...and just wash it with a gentle soap. Did the trick. Also maybe put her bowls a little higher... :)

Go to the pharmacy in the acne aisle and buy "Hibitane" follow the instructions on the box. This is what my vet suggested at the time.

peppy85
December 2nd, 2004, 03:35 PM
i had a doberman that had acne i was told by my vet to use clearasil it worked really good affter awhile i didnt need to use it any more

db7
December 2nd, 2004, 08:37 PM
I have had this on a number of dogs and it was always carpet burn from scooping up balls etc. while playing fetch in the house.

chico2
December 2nd, 2004, 09:03 PM
My cats had feline acne and the vet gave me a bottle of 2% Chloroxyl scrub,cleared it up in no time.It's cheap and does not smell too bad for the cats.

elfelda
December 6th, 2004, 01:51 PM
My dog had this quite a bit during her first year. Since she was already using stainless steel bowls, and the chin bumps coincided with a couple of ear infections and other skin-related problems, we switched to sensitive skin or hypoallergenic type dog foods and treats. Her chin cleared up without any topical treatments (she also stopped getting ear & eye infections).