- Dog Breed Group
- Toy Dogs
- Origin of Breed
- Life Expectancy
- 9 - 11 years
- Long, straight coat, silky texture
- Exercise Needs
- Indoor activity with suffice for exercise, but he will enjoy a walk or a run in the park.
- The Maltese is gentle, playful, spirited and likes to participate needing lots of personal attention. Reserved and sometimes tim
- Good with Children
- They do not tolerate young children nor do they mix well with other pets. They make an excellent dog for the elderly as they are
- Grooming Needs
- Extensive coat care. Shampoo once a week, daily brushing is essential. Special attention is need to keep the eyes clean as stain
- Average Size - Male (in)
- Average Size - Female (in)
- Average Weight - Male (lbs)
- 4 - 6
- Average Weight - Female (lbs)
- 4 - 6
- Health Issues
- Generally very healthy. Subject to genetic eye disorders.v
- Living Conditions
- An apartment is fine as they are a small and fairly quiet dog. They make an excellent dog for the elderly if the owner can socia
The Maltese is a breed of toy dog known for its snowy white, luxuriantly long and silky coat, which owners often festoon with tiny bows or ribbon. It is named for the island of Malta, where it may have originated about 2,800 years ago. On the island of Malta this breed was a household pet of wealth, cultured families. This probably accounts for their refinement, fidelity and cleanliness. This breed is one of the oldest European breeds. Around 25AD, the Greek historian Strabo reported that "There is a town in Sicily called Melita whence are exported beautiful dogs called Canis Meliteri". This raises the possibility of an Italian origin for the breed. It is delicate in appearance but usually vigorous, healthy, affectionate, and lively. It has a long, silky, pure-white coat, long, heavily feathered and hanging ears, a compact body, and a plumed tail that curves over its back. It is often groomed in such a way as to blend with the rest of the coat. Its eyes are large, round, and very dark black. Although they have a reputation for being glamorous show dogs, they are also sturdy and vigorously playful.
Although the Maltese can usually get enough exercise running around the house, they do appreciate being taken out for walks.
The Maltese is one of the largest of the Toy breeds and is also known as the Bichon Maltaise.
The Maltese is know bred purely as a companion dog.
The Maltese is thought to be one of the oldest breeds.
The Maltese makes an ideal house pet.
The Maltese Terrier does not shed like other dogs.
The Maltese was once known as the Maltese Terrier and was an excellent ratter.
Disclaimer: Pets.ca cannot be responsible for the accuracy of the above presented information. Please double check all information prior to making any decisions about purchasing this or any breed. If you think we have made an error with some of the information presented here, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.