Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
- Dog Breed Group
- Terrier Dogs
- Origin of Breed
- Ireland, guard dog.
- Life Expectancy
- 12 - 14 Years
- A good, clear wheaten, the shade of ripening wheat; white and red equally objectionable; dark shading on ears not untypical.
- Soft and silky.
- Exercise Needs
- He needs moderate but regular exercise to prevent boredom.
- He is a jolly breed who will retain his carefree puppy-ness right into adulthood. The Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier is lively, loy
- Good with Children
- Gets along well with considerate children. Usually accepts other household pets, should be socialized at a young age to get alon
- Grooming Needs
- Constant care is needed to maintain his flowing coat. Daily combing with a medium-tooth comb is recommended to keep him tangle f
- Average Size - Male (in)
- 18 - 19
- Average Size - Female (in)
- 17 - 18
- Average Weight - Male (lbs)
- 35 - 40
- Average Weight - Female (lbs)
- 30 - 35
- Health Issues
- Progressive retinal atrophy, colitis, hip dysplasia, kidney diseases and allergic skin problems.v
- Living Conditions
- Adapts well to urban living. An apartment is fine if he is exercised daily.
The Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier is a medium-sized, hardy, well balanced sporting terrier, square in outline. Distinguished by his soft, silky, gently waving coat of warm wheaten color and his steady disposition. Puppies are born dark apricot but lighten to a clear golden wheaten color by two years of age. There is no exact origins of the Wheaten Terrier but soft coated terriers have existed in Ireland for many centuries. It is said he may have been crossed with the Kerry Blue Terrier. He was originally used to guard the farm and it's animals and sometimes to hunt game or be a water retriever.
The Soft-coated Wheaten Terrier is a good all-round dog that truly thrives when it is allowed to have plenty of exercise.
Disclaimer: Pets.ca cannot be responsible for the accuracy of the above presented information. Please double check all information prior to making any decisions about purchasing this or any breed. If you think we have made an error with some of the information presented here, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.