- Dog Breed Group
- Sporting Dogs
- Origin of Breed
- Germany, hunting dog.
- Life Expectancy
- 10 - 12 Years
- Preferably silver gray; shades of mouse or roe gray.
- Short, smooth and sleek.
- Exercise Needs
- Needs plenty of opportunity to run free and a lot of regular exercise.
- When well trained the Weimaraner is a confident and assertive dog who makes a wonderful companion. He is also responsive, alert
- Good with Children
- Usually very friendly with children if properly socialized at a young age. Good with other pets.
- Grooming Needs
- Brush or dry shampoo coat as necessary. A rub over with a chamois will make his coat gleam. Prone to sunburn on his nose in the
- Average Size - Male (in)
- 25 - 27
- Average Size - Female (in)
- 23 - 25
- Average Weight - Male (lbs)
- 70 - 85
- Average Weight - Female (lbs)
- 70 - 85
- Health Issues
- Hip dysplasia, gastric torsion, bleeding disorders.v
- Living Conditions
- He will adapt to urban living but does need plenty of space. He does not kennel well.
The Weimaraner or "Silver Ghost" is a picture of grace, speed, stamina, alertness and balance. A one-family dog that is reserved with strangers he will make a good watchdog. He requires an owner who has a firm, no-nonsense approach who will take time to train and socialize him. Boundless energy, tireless, driven and a remarkable sense of smell make him a great hunting dog. Known to hunt for as long as six hours at a time. The Weimaraner made his first appearance over 125 years ago in the German court of Weimar. His ancestry is from the old red Schweisshunde crossed with the German Shorthaired Pointer and several other German hunting breeds. Originally he was bred to be used to stalk deer and to hunt bear and wild boar.
No breeding of the Weimaraner outside Germany was permitted until 1930.
Disclaimer: Pets.ca cannot be responsible for the accuracy of the above presented information. Please double check all information prior to making any decisions about purchasing this or any breed. If you think we have made an error with some of the information presented here, please e-mail us at email@example.com.