- Dog Breed Group
- Sporting Dogs
- Origin of Breed
- England, hunting dog.
- Life Expectancy
- 11 - 12 Years
- Rich golden liver shading to golden at tips of hairs, gold predominating; dark liver or puce is undesirable.
- Abundant and flat, without a tendency to curl; ample weather-resistant undercoat.
- Exercise Needs
- Daily exercise is needed which should include a good walk on leash and the opportunity to play in a yard. Enjoys swimming and re
- A good house dog and family pet, the Sussex is soft and affectionate with a placid outlook on life. He is also determined and fr
- Good with Children
- Good with children, especially if raised with them. Friendly with other pets, but may be bossy.
- Grooming Needs
- Regular grooming with a brush or comb is required to maintain his beautiful, shiny coat. Keep ears clean, trim pads of feet.
- Average Size - Male (in)
- 13 - 15
- Average Size - Female (in)
- 13 - 15
- Average Weight - Male (lbs)
- 35 - 45
- Average Weight - Female (lbs)
- 35 - 45
- Health Issues
- Heart and liver problems, hip dysplasia, and ingrowing eyelashes.v
- Living Conditions
- Can live outdoors as long as warm shelter is provided. Best suited for a home with a fenced yard.
The Sussex Spaniel is known as an excellent hunting companion, he is long and low, rectangular and massive in appearance. His expression is somber and serious. Originating from Sussex in southern England it is said he is a cross with the Clumber Spaniel and Bloodhound. Origination of the breed is given to Mr. Fuller of Rosehill, Sussex in 1795. The Sussex Spaniel was mainly used to hunt partridge and pheasant.
The Sussex Spaniel is a very good all-round dog.
Unique to this breed is his rich golden liver color coat and a lower energy level than most spaniels.
Disclaimer: Pets.ca cannot be responsible for the accuracy of the above presented information. Please double check all information prior to making any decisions about purchasing this or any breed. If you think we have made an error with some of the information presented here, please e-mail us at email@example.com.