Irish Water Spaniel
- Dog Breed Group
- Sporting Dogs
- Origin of Breed
- Ireland, water bird retriever.
- Life Expectancy
- 10 - 12 Years
- Rich, dark liver.
- Dense, tight ringlets on neck, body and top part of tail; longer, curling hair on legs and topknot; face, rear of tail, and back
- Exercise Needs
- Regular daily exercise is a necessity and he should also be given the opportunity to swim as much as possible.
- The Irish Water Spaniel is responsive, playful and inquisitive. A great intelligence, quick learner, fun-loving personality has
- Good with Children
- Will tolerate children if no rough housing occurs. Dog aggressive, needs to be properly introduced.
- Grooming Needs
- Weekly grooming with a steel comb is necessary to maintain his curly coat mat free. Pay special attention to behind the ears. So
- Average Size - Male (in)
- 22 - 24
- Average Size - Female (in)
- 21 - 23
- Average Weight - Male (lbs)
- 55 - 65
- Average Weight - Female (lbs)
- 45 - 58
- Health Issues
- Coat and skin problems., hip dysplasia, thyroid problems and seizures.v
- Living Conditions
- Home with a fenced yard.
The Irish Water Spaniel presents a picture of a smart, upstanding strongly built sporting dog. He has a wonderful temperament and unique appearance making him an enjoyable breed. He loves water and will often take a flying leap into any body of water he encounters. The tallest of the spaniels, he excels in retrieving wildfowl. It is believe the Irish Water Spaniels is the survivor of the Southern Irish Water Spaniel found in Southern Ireland and another Water Spaniel found in Northern Ireland who is believed to be similar to the English Water Spaniel.
The Irish Water Spaniel is an active dog that will thrive on regular exercise and is very happy to perform retrieving tasks.
Disclaimer: Pets.ca cannot be responsible for the accuracy of the above presented information. Please double check all information prior to making any decisions about purchasing this or any breed. If you think we have made an error with some of the information presented here, please e-mail us at email@example.com.