- Dog Breed Group
- Hound Dogs
- Origin of Breed
- South Africa as a hunting dog.
- Life Expectancy
- 12 Years
- Light wheaten to red wheaten.
- Short, dense, sleek and glossy.
- Exercise Needs
- Needs a great amount of exercise as he has tremendous stamina. Loves to swim.
- The Ridgeback is friendly and obediant. Intelligent but stubborn. Makes a good watch dog.
- Good with Children
- Gets along with children, as long as they are not pestered. Needs socialization when young to accept cats, dogs and other pets.
- Grooming Needs
- Minimal grooming of his short coat is required. Brush with a firm bristle brush and shampoo only when necessary.
- Average Size - Male (in)
- 25 - 27
- Average Size - Female (in)
- 24 - 26
- Average Weight - Male (lbs)
- Average Weight - Female (lbs)
- Health Issues
- Hip irregularities, sinus problems, osteochondrosis.v
- Living Conditions
- A fenced yard is essential in an urban environment. Thrives in a large property where he can patrol his home ground.
A Rhodesian Ridgebacks uniqueness is the ridge on the back, formed by the hair growing in the opposite direction to the rest of the coat. A strong muscular and active dog, symmetrical outline and capable of great endurance with speed. Named after the country of Rhodesia which is now Zimbabwe he was once called the Lion Dog as he would hunt lions and other big game in packs. Developed from crossing the local dog (the African Hottentot Hunting Dog) who had a distinctive ridge of hair growing in the reverse direction along his back to the Pointer, Mastiff, Greyhound and Bulldog.
The Rhodesian Ridgeback is a wonderful custom-bred working dog.
The Rhodesian Ridgeback makes an excellent watch-dog and very capable guard dog.
Disclaimer: Pets.ca cannot be responsible for the accuracy of the above presented information. Please double check all information prior to making any decisions about purchasing this or any breed. If you think we have made an error with some of the information presented here, please e-mail us at email@example.com.